Florida bill seeks to lower gun-buying age to 18

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Miami_JBT

Florida bill seeks to lower gun-buying age to 18

Post by Miami_JBT »

House Bill 1543

FL Republicans raised the purchasing age to 21 after Parkland. The NRA filed a lawsuit against it. Chief U.S. District Judge Mark Walker in 2021 upheld the constitutionality of the law. Walker said he was following legal precedent, though he also described the case as falling "squarely in the middle of a constitutional no man's land."

The NRA appealed to the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. A panel of the Atlanta-based appeals court heard arguments in May but has not ruled.

During the arguments, NRA attorney John Sweeney contended that 18-year-olds in Florida "do not enjoy the same freedoms guaranteed the rest of the adults in this country" by the Second Amendment.

But in a document filed in district court, attorneys for the state wrote that people ages 18 to 20 are a "particularly high-risk group" and pointed to scientific evidence about impulsive and risky behavior.

"Empirical evidence bears out that because 18-to-20-year-olds are uniquely likely to engage in impulsive, emotional, and risky behaviors that offer immediate or short-term rewards, drawing the line for legal purchase of firearms at 21 is a reasonable method of addressing the Legislature's public safety concerns," the document said.

Currently, there is no Senate version filed.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

I'd love to see this one go through.
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

The 11th Circuit Court just made their ruling:

https://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinion ... 112314.pdf
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

Then it's even more important.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

The DeSantis campaign wants this squashed. They don't want a SCOTUS case debating FL Gun Control happening during the Presidential Election Season. They don't want DeSantis while campaigning, having to have to explain to voters how FL is the freest state, while at the same time, defending a gun control law passed by Republicans.

Right now, you have the DeSantis administration defending this law in the court under Republican Attorney General Ashley Moody. The DeSantis campaign wants this quietly swept under the rug. The idea of DeSantis being tied to a SCOTUS case in which gun control is the core issue is something he does not want. The moment the ruling broke, the Capitol had folks running around like their hair was on fire.

Why? Because HB 1543 is a House Bill that was introduced this week to repeal the Under 21 Purchase Ban. But here's the kicker.

During public testimony for SB-150 (permitless concealed-only carry). The Florida Sheriffs Association was asked where they stand on the under 21 issue. They said they support the law as is, meaning they support the ban.

The Senate President stated she will not back any pro-gun bill without the Sheriffs' approval.

The DeSantis campaign is now worried and trying to see what can sway Passidomo to allow the bill to move in the Senate. So, the question is, will it be rendered moot?
tector

Post by tector »

The "There's a single RINO blocking 2A bolstering legislation" is the oldest act in Tallahassee. It's Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the football over and over.

"18-20, please carry a gun for your country--just not for yourself or your loved ones."

We have fallen so low it is embarrassing.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

tector wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:39 pm The "There's a single RINO blocking 2A bolstering legislation" is the oldest act in Tallahassee. It's Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the football over and over.

"18-20, please carry a gun for your country--just not for yourself or your loved ones."

The law only covers purchases. Not ownership. Anyone 18 years or older can own a gun in Florida. Several times a nineteen your old wanted to make a purchase, & couldn’t, but since a parent was there, they could make the purchase, & gift it to the child. Perfectly legal. GARY.
https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-la ... n-florida/
https://thefirearmfirm.com/gun-ownership-in-florida/
tector

Post by tector »

N4KVE wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:53 pm
tector wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:39 pm The "There's a single RINO blocking 2A bolstering legislation" is the oldest act in Tallahassee. It's Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the football over and over.

The law only covers purchases. Not ownership. Anyone 18 years or older can own a gun in Florida. Several times a nineteen your old wanted to make a purchase, & couldn’t, but since a parent was there, they could make the purchase, & gift it to the child. Perfectly legal. GARY.
https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-la ... n-florida/
https://thefirearmfirm.com/gun-ownership-in-florida/
Your inner Canadian is showing again.

What you raised is besides the point. If a statute was written that said 18-20 could have their First Amendment rights if their parents went along with it, that statute would justly stricken down in on First Amendment grounds in 5 seconds. There is no justification for the Second Amendment being treated as the bastard stepchild of the Bill of Rights, again.

Moreover, even accepting your point, so what if the young adult has no parents? Or their parents are unable or unwilling to assist? If some 19 year old woman feels she needs a gun for protection, her Second Amendment rights are negated if she happens to have dumbfuck lib parents (who would probably feel more comfortable living in Canada)? That's complete bullshit.

The right to posses a gun is worthless is basically worthless if it is decoupled from the right to acquire a gun on one's own. The right you are speaking of is derivative, not direct, and nowhere do I see such a concept in the text of the Second Amendment.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

When I was at SS one day a kid came in to buy a gun. He had a G license, but was 19. His Dad was with him, but I told the kid he needed to be 21 before purchasing a handgun. This was when he could have still bought a long gun. I explained the loophole to the Dad [ just like brace loophole, bumpstock loophole etc] but the Dad said he wanted his son to earn the right to get the gun. I asked the Dad did the son deliver the newspaper to earn the $$$ to get the gun, to which the Dad replied “yes”. I replied then the son did work to earn the gun. The Dad kept harping “but he has a G license”. So the Dad did make the purchase, & legally gifted him the gun. But again, that was before the recent law was enacted. I understand your point, but the kid came in to buy a handgun, & he left SS with a handgun. Plus you & me both are over 21. GARY.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

N4KVE wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:41 am When I was at SS one day a kid came in to buy a gun. He had a G license, but was 19. His Dad was with him, but I told the kid he needed to be 21 before purchasing a handgun. This was when he could have still bought a long gun. I explained the loophole to the Dad [ just like brace loophole, bumpstock loophole etc] but the Dad said he wanted his son to earn the right to get the gun. I asked the Dad did the son deliver the newspaper to earn the $$$ to get the gun, to which the Dad replied “yes”. I replied then the son did work to earn the gun. The Dad kept harping “but he has a G license”. So the Dad did make the purchase, & legally gifted him the gun. But again, that was before the recent law was enacted. I understand your point, but the kid came in to buy a handgun, & he left SS with a handgun. Plus you & me both are over 21. GARY.
And what of the numerous college age adults under 21 who's parents live outside of FL? Even if they legally purchase them a firearm. They can't gift it to them since their kids live in a different state. The firearm has to go through a FFL. Under the law, all FFL are barred from transferring the firearm to anyone under 21.

A right delayed is a right denied.