I am in need of breaking a computer password help.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
charliedwsr

I am in need of breaking a computer password help.

Post by charliedwsr »

On March 3, my sister suffered a massive stroke while being treated for cancer and died. She was only 57 and our 94-year-old father's caretaker.

The problem, my sister's and my father's bills were paid online and no one else had the password for 'the computer. The computer is a desktop if that matters.

I am open to ALL SUGGESTIONS! I'm still here in Florida but will be leaving for Upstate New York by this upcoming weekend.

Thanks, Everyone!
“Show me a hero and I’ll write you a tragedy.”
F. Scott Fitzgerald
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Assuming you're talking about the password for the computer itself, you really have two problems.

There are a variety of articles on the web about getting into a computer without the password. The actual method depends whether it's a Windows machine or a Mac. You can create a boot drive on a USB thumb drive, and try that. A lot depends on how the BIOS is set up on a windows machine. On a MacOs, there are key combinations, depending on which generation of machine.

Your second and more important problem is to get into whatever account pays those bills, usually a bank. If the step above is successful, maybe the password is on the computer.

If you are the Executor/Administrator of the estate, and have the Letter of Administration/Letters Testamentary, you can go to the bank they used and get the account reset so you can pay the bills. The importance depends on whether they had a mortgage - contact the mortgage company/bank and explain, and the Utility which generally is one local. If no mortgage, then no worries about foreclosure, other stuff has time. Credit cards can wait as they can present claims to the probate court; ditto cellular and cable. If you don't have the authority (yet, as I'd assume you will be entitled to have), either the lawyer or yourself can write the letters, keeping simple.

It's a pain, I know, as I've had to do it. I'll also say I hope Upstate NY is more efficient than NYC. I had to get a Letter of Administration from Bronx County; I should have got a Dental license from that pulling teeth exercise.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

AND get numerous copy's of the death certificate,everybody and their mother will request it...
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
philasteen

Post by philasteen »

Sorry for your loss and all the difficulties you now face.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

The best way if you have the authority, it to take the computer to a computer shop, and have them do it for you.
That's why I have a little pocket notebook in my safe (yes the boys know the safe's combo), that has all my user names and pass words listed in it.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

TonyR wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:41 pm AND get numerous copy's of the death certificate,everybody and their mother will request it...
YES, get more than you think you'll need, better to have some left over than have to go through "procedures" to get more, and the additional ones cost more per. than if you got them to begin with.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
charliedwsr

Post by charliedwsr »

Thanks! :D
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

Very sorry for your loss. Below is info that could help.

I have used "ophcrack" software to crack and/or delete Windows passwords. It is at:
https://ophcrack.sourceforge.io/downloa ... ype=livecd

The process is:
1. Download the ophcrack LiveCD file ending in ".iso"
2. Use a CD burning tool like ImgBurn to create a CD from the iso file (see https://www.imgburn.com/ )
Be sure to check the option for a "bootable" CD before burning it.
3. Put the CD into the locked computer and restart it. It should automatically boot up on the CD. If not, you may need to go into the BIOS and change the Boot Order to put the CD drive first. Try pressing DEL or INS or F2 key when it first boots up to get into the BIOS.
4. The CD will show a bunch of garbage as it starts up because it's a Linux system. Eventually it will ask questions and display possible accounts to hack. It can simply delete a password, but might be better to let it try to decode the actual password if you think the same password could be used for other accounts also.

It's also possible to make a bootable USB memory stick instead of a cd, using a tool like Easy2boot (see https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easy2boot.html )

Try passing these instructions to someone with access to that computer.
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Got nothin' on the password issue, but very sorry to hear about your sister!
charliedwsr

Post by charliedwsr »

Thanks, EveryoneI I greatly appreciate Ken's Help and the Kind Words and Thoughts of all!
F. Scott Fitzgerald