Looks like braced pistols are SBR’s.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector

Post by tector »

Thank you, George.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
tector

Post by tector »

George W wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:33 pm
tector wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:34 pm
lilwoody wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:43 am Since they are forcing people to register them as a SBR, then after the registration goes through can't you just put a standard stock and buffer tube on them an have a real SBR?
As I understand it, yes. But there are people who have studied the issue more carefully than me, so hopefully they will chime in.
*Yes

*This is as fucked up as a Football bat. The ATF is treating it like any other Form1 to SBR, EXCEPT, they dropped the engraving requirement. A Form1 by definition is an Application to Make and Register a Firearm. However, the actual manufacturer is listed on the paperwork, treating the gun as if it is a factory built SBR, which would require it to be on a Form 4 by law. If you register it under the "Free Form1", it would be in your best interest to have it engraved like you would any other SBR. Somewhere down the road, a registered SBR under this plan is going to get an unsuspecting heir jail time because they'll assume it to be a pistol, selling as such only to find out later it is a rifle (once a rifle, always a rifle.)
If they dropped the limited engraving requirement (for non-manufacturers), couldn't you just tag it in your safe as a converted pistol to SBR to alert the unsuspecting heir? That might draw their attention more than the engraving (again, I assuming you are correct that the engraving requirement has been dropped altogether on these guns). My wife wouldn't even look at the engraving or know what it meant. But if I put a big effing tag on it telling her it is a pistol converted to an SBR and to only sell it to a dealer, she could avoid all hassles, right? I am 10-1 to croak before her.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
George W

Post by George W »

tector wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:11 pm If they dropped the limited engraving requirement (for non-manufacturers), couldn't you just tag it in your safe as a converted pistol to SBR to alert the unsuspecting heir? That might draw their attention more than the engraving (again, I assuming you are correct that the engraving requirement has been dropped altogether on these guns). My wife wouldn't even look at the engraving or know what it meant. But if I put a big effing tag on it telling her it is a pistol converted to an SBR and to only sell it to a dealer, she could avoid all hassles, right? I am 10-1 to croak before her.
That's not a bad idea, but I can't trust myself to do it. Since an SBR, even registered, ceases to be NFA without an upper attached, or with 16+ inch barreled upper attached (assuming it meets the 26" min length requirement), this may be a better option than a tag.

All of my NFA stuff is slowly being moved into my Trust. My youngest is a Trustee and the beneficiary of our Trust. Even though he is pretty savvy on the NFA, I don't want him dealing with Form 5s.
tector

Post by tector »

It really is an outrage, in the face of the Second Amendment, that otherwise law-abiding gun owners have to jump through all these arcane hoops. If the Founders of the Republic saw all this, they could not stop vomiting.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Exactly Tector.

The founders would be taking things into their own hands by now

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tector

Post by tector »

TACC wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:03 pm Exactly Tector.

The founders would be taking things into their own hands by now

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
"Time to use" would have been no later than 1861 for Jefferson, for sure.

On December 26, 1825, Jefferson, dismayed by the presidency of John Quincy Adams and John Marshall’s Supreme Court, wrote a missive, excerpted below, on the role of government, to former Virginia senator William Branch Giles.

Dear Sir,

I see, as you do, and with the deepest affliction, the rapid strides with which the federal branch of our government is advancing towards the usurpation of all the rights reserved to the States, and the consolidation in itself of all powers, foreign and domestic; and that, too, by constructions which, if legitimate, leave no limits to their power. Take together the decisions of the federal court, the doctrines of the President, and the misconstructions of the constitutional compact acted on by the legislature of the federal branch, and it is but too evident, that the three ruling branches of that department are in combination to strip their colleagues, the State authorities, of the powers reserved by them, and to exercise themselves all functions foreign and domestic. Under the power to regulate commerce, they assume indefinitely that also over agriculture and manufactures, and call it regulation to take the earnings of one of these branches of industry, and that too the most depressed, and put them into the pockets of the other, the most flourishing of all. Under the authority to establish post roads, they claim that of cutting down mountains for the construction of roads, of digging canals, and aided by a little sophistry on the words “general welfare,” a right to do, not only the acts to effect that, which are specifically enumerated and permitted, but whatsoever they shall think, or pretend will be for the general welfare. And what is our resource for the preservation of the constitution? Reason and argument? You might as well reason and argue with the marble columns encircling them. The representatives chosen by ourselves? They are joined in the combination, some from incorrect views of government, some from corrupt ones, sufficient voting together to out-number the sound parts; and with majorities only of one, two, or three, bold enough to go forward in defiance. Are we then to stand to our arms, with the hot-headed Georgian? No. That must be the last resource, not to be thought of until much longer and greater sufferings. If every infraction of a compact of so many parties is to be resisted at once, as a dissolution of it, none can ever be formed which would last one year. We must have patience and longer endurance then with our brethren while under delusion; give them time for reflection and experience of consequences; keep ourselves in a situation to profit by the chapter of accidents; and separate from our companions only when the sole alternatives left, are the dissolution of our Union with them, or submission to a government without limitation of powers. Between these two evils, when we must make a choice, there can be no hesitation.

https://nymag.com/news/politics/electio ... n-2012-10/
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

Anything stopping you from registering a stripped receiver, on which to install a brace later on?
George W

Post by George W »

wjbarricklow wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:05 pm Anything stopping you from registering a stripped receiver, on which to install a brace later on?
It must be braced to use the "Free" Form 1. Then again, they aren't asking for pics of a completed firearm (yet), so who knows what could slip through.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

I have a buffer tube and some velcro.
tector

Post by tector »

wjbarricklow wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:25 pm I have a buffer tube and some velcro.
Would a tube sock and a rubber band suffice?