Looking at moving back to FL- any input?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Waldo1

Looking at moving back to FL- any input?

Post by Waldo1 »

We moved from Central Florida three years ago to chase our son/grandkids to Colorado. That was fun for a minute, but I quickly tired of Communism and we are considering moving back to the swamps. I am looking for a smaller house on a few acres in North Florida, like maybe around Live Oak or Starke. Any suggestions on where to look or where to avoid? I know that prices are moving downward and thats a good thing.

Thanks,
Waldo1
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Waldo1 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:19 pm We moved from Central Florida three years ago to chase our son/grandkids to Colorado. That was fun for a minute, but I quickly tired of Communism and we are considering moving back to the swamps. I am looking for a smaller house on a few acres in North Florida, like maybe around Live Oak or Starke. Any suggestions on where to look or where to avoid? I know that prices are moving downward and thats a good thing.

Thanks,
Waldo1
Well, there's one "hotel" I'd surely avoid in Starke:

The execution chamber is located there.

That said, I'd say Live Oak is the better choice. Very gun friendly.
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Starke puts you close to St. Augustine, Jacksonville and Ocala.
But not too close to any of them.
Waldo1

Post by Waldo1 »

Yeah, I used to work at a cement plant in Sumterville- right next to the Federal Correctional complex. We have a son that works at Mayo in Jax and we'd like to be semi-close to them- but not too close. We had lived in Orlando for 8 years before moving out to Groveland (West on 50) and this time we want to avoid any big cities, traffic, etc.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

From Deleon Springs north up 17 towards Jaxville there's lot of nice areas.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

There are several people on Youtube that actually do pretty good rundowns of exactly the type of questions you're asking.

Here's one that has posted several interesting topics in a well thought out way:

https://www.youtube.com/@FloridaRealEstateInsight

There are others too. The good thing is you can run a search about just what you want. For instance, I'd assume school district isn't that imporant to you, but maybe you want to know where would be the best place to get the most land, or cheapest place to live near the beach, or best place to live near a big city, but still be in a rural area. Look around, there's plenty of info out there.
My posts kill threads.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

I have 10 acres for sale south of Live Oak, between Live Oak and Branford. Not close to anything. I'm okay with being 20-30 minutes from the nearest Walmart. My wife isn't crazy about it.

Branford is not a bad little town, but keeps getting bigger. There's a McDonald's and Dollar General there.

Area is gun friendly. I have a neighbor, an Indian guy from London. The first time the kids and I went shooting out there, he came over with a white flag and told us he surrendered.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Thats the kind of neighbor you want.Sounds like a nice place.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

Live Oak/ Suwannee county is a nice rural area. I must be right down the road from barricklow.

Not a whole lot of entertainment, which is fine by me. Lots of places for sale - at high prices. Lots of mobile homes.

Shoot in your back yard.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

wjbarricklow wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:02 pm I have 10 acres for sale south of Live Oak, between Live Oak and Branford. Not close to anything. I'm okay with being 20-30 minutes from the nearest Walmart. My wife isn't crazy about it.

Branford is not a bad little town, but keeps getting bigger. There's a McDonald's and Dollar General there.

Area is gun friendly. I have a neighbor, an Indian guy from London. The first time the kids and I went shooting out there, he came over with a white flag and told us he surrendered.
As it turns out, Britany Murphy's Father, Angelo, lives in Branford.

It also has (I think it still has) one of the very best all you can eat buffet diners called the "Sister's Cafe." Roughly $10.00 all you can eat lunch. And I mean the absolute best Fried Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak, side dishes, popcorn shrimp, everything! And it's a really nice break for the locals because it's low in cost and gives them a great value. If you're in the area, plan on having lunch there. Open 7 days a week 10:30a = 2:30p Open until 8:00p on Friday and Saturday. Get there before noon to get good seats. And on Friday evening and Sunday Brunch, you have to wait to be seated. It's totally crowded.