Looks like braced pistols are SBR’s.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

The bump stock ruling did get shot down federally. But it’s still law in Florida. And if you were Vito, or Rueben, & suddenly new full autos could be added to the list, & retail for $1000, how would you feel watching your inventory implode? I look at this like somebody who was cheating on their taxes got caught. But yet if they file right away, they can avoid the penalty. It’s a win/win. File your braced pistol now, & get your stamp for free. GARY.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

George W wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:08 am This shit is exactly why the Post May 86 ban still stands. Lots of fat cats with large stashes of FA lobbying to keep the registry closed. These same assholes head up and belong to our alleged "Gun Rights" groups, selling us out to enrich themselves.
Fudds are gonna Fudd
Gotta agree with you there. GARY
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Wakko wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:08 am
N4KVE wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:50 am
lighteye wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:38 am So if I say that I am sitting on 6 pistol lowers, do I get a handful of stamps? Those 3 for $99 either Anderson or PSA lowers would be handy for this.
No. I believe they want to see pre Friday the 13th dated photos of assembled braced pistols for the “free upgrade”. GARY.
I've not seen evidence of this anywhere. Have you?
The ATF is planning this registration period without a $200 tax stamp payment, as a legal CYA measure, so that they cannot be accused of making an uncompensated “taking.”
In addition to the usual fingerprinting nonsense, they now want a photo of the gun attached to the registration forms, for their future reference. This is requiring the creation of a new version of the ATF Form 1.
The amnesty will apparently only cover arm-brace-equipped pistols that you already have in your possession when the amnesty begins — no other SBRs. Nor will it cover pistols to which you attach a traditional buttstock — hence the requirement to attach a photo of the arm-brace-equipped pistol to your ATF Form 1. This, I assume, would tie your hands, meaning you can’t later retrofit this quasi-SBR with a traditional stock, unless you re-register it with a $200 tax stamp. The ATF wants to redefine arm braces as “stocks”, yet they won’t let you retrofit a braced pistol-SBR with the stock of your choice? What silliness. So, it seems that they will be creating a new sub-category of configuration-frozen braced SBRs.
If registered during the amnesty period, they will waive the $200 transfer tax stamp for the first time each arm-brace-equipped pistol SBR is registered. If you later gift it or sell it, then the new owner would have to pay a $200 transfer tax. One key question is: Would that SBR then no longer be considered configuration-frozen? We’ll have to wait and see what they make up as their fickle ruling du jour.
Don’t expect the amnesty period to run for more than a month or two.
GARY.
George W

Post by George W »

N4KVE wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:42 am
N4KVE wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:50 am No. I believe they want to see pre Friday the 13th dated photos of assembled braced pistols for the “free upgrade”. GARY.
The ATF is planning this registration period without a $200 tax stamp payment, as a legal CYA measure, so that they cannot be accused of making an uncompensated “taking.”
In addition to the usual fingerprinting nonsense, they now want a photo of the gun attached to the registration forms, for their future reference. This is requiring the creation of a new version of the ATF Form 1.
The amnesty will apparently only cover arm-brace-equipped pistols that you already have in your possession when the amnesty begins — no other SBRs. Nor will it cover pistols to which you attach a traditional buttstock — hence the requirement to attach a photo of the arm-brace-equipped pistol to your ATF Form 1. This, I assume, would tie your hands, meaning you can’t later retrofit this quasi-SBR with a traditional stock, unless you re-register it with a $200 tax stamp. The ATF wants to redefine arm braces as “stocks”, yet they won’t let you retrofit a braced pistol-SBR with the stock of your choice? What silliness. So, it seems that they will be creating a new sub-category of configuration-frozen braced SBRs.
If registered during the amnesty period, they will waive the $200 transfer tax stamp for the first time each arm-brace-equipped pistol SBR is registered. If you later gift it or sell it, then the new owner would have to pay a $200 transfer tax. One key question is: Would that SBR then no longer be considered configuration-frozen? We’ll have to wait and see what they make up as their fickle ruling du jour.
GARY.
The ATF set up a separate web site to handle only these types of Form 1s.
The amnesty period is 120 days.
The photo requirement for the brace SBR is the same as for any other eForm 1, a close up photo of engravings on the serialized parts.
The eForm 1 is for an SBR, so once it is done, you can brace it, stock it, or anything else you'd do with an SBR. This isn't some special Brace to SBR designation.

How do I know? I submitted an eForm 1 on Friday night.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

George W wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:51 am
N4KVE wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:42 am

GARY.
The ATF set up a separate web site to handle only these types of Form 1s.
The amnesty period is 120 days.
The photo requirement for the brace SBR is the same as for any other eForm 1, a close up photo of engravings on the serialized parts.
The eForm 1 is for an SBR, so once it is done, you can brace it, stock it, or anything else you'd do with an SBR. This isn't some special Brace to SBR designation.

How do I know? I submitted an eForm 1 on Friday night.
The ban won't stick, but the ATF sure is never going to purge all the data they collect from the frantic registrations.
George W

Post by George W »

zeebaron wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:03 pm
The ban won't stick, but the ATF sure is never going to purge all the data they collect from the frantic registrations.
Possibly. But, I had planned on SBR'ing everything anyways.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Villafuego wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:14 am
E-Forms is gonna be like rush-hour I-4 traffic for the next 4 months
4 months?! 🤣 Someone on Reddit calculated, based on current wait/turnaround times, that if every braced pistol owner filed at the same time, it would take 800 years to get every app processed... 🙄
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

And if you were Vito, or Rueben, & suddenly new full autos could be added to the list, & retail for $1000, how would you feel watching your inventory implode?
I'd probably feel like a slave owner losing his property after the Civil War. The rights of the people won out over my net worth. Feel pretty stupid for putting all my eggs in one basket on a losing concept.
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

Man, I'm not even halfway down page 1 of worksheet 4999 and nearly every brace I know of is over 4 points.

Section II question 2 is soooo subjective. "rear surface useful for shouldering the firearm"
https://www.atf.gov/file/154866/download

...and the goddamn criteria document on atf.gov is 293 pages!!!!
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulatio ... f/download
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

They operate by, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.