I saw a gun I sold 5 years ago at the Miami gun show.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
cvasqu03

I saw a gun I sold 5 years ago at the Miami gun show.

Post by cvasqu03 »

Here's a weird experience. I went to the Miami gun show (the one in Tamiami Park) Saturday and while looking through the used guns at a pawn shop's table, I spotted a Llama 45 that I sold back in 2017. It was actually one of three pistols I sold that day to a dealer, two Llamas and a Taurus PT99 (not sure if it was the same dealer - don't think so). The two Llamas I sold had both given me some trouble with feeding until I started using higher priced competition magazines. Both of them then also developed issues with the firing getting crimped in place so they wouldn't fire anymore - something I had to get a gunsmith to take care of.

At the time I sold these, I was seriously underemployed and needed the cash so I decided to get rid of anything that had been problematic. I got an OK price for all three, but realize I could have done better when there was another panic after the last election. Not long after that I ended up selling my other two .45 pistols and a 45 carbine which left me with over a thousand rounds of 45 and nothing to shoot it out of. Now that I'm doing better I've been wanting to get myself another 1911 (or three), but I really want a GI style one first. Well, I immediately noticed the pistol as it's a standard blued shorter barrel Llama 1911 clone but with a very distinctive stainless replacement barrel that I'd had installed to replace the original broken one (those Llamas had problems with the steel). I'd sold it with punisher grips but included the original grips in the sale and it was the original grips that it was being sold with (someone probably sold the Punisher ones separately). I really wish I could have kept those two pistols but cash was really tight at the time.

It was kind of weird seeing my old gun like that. In case you're wondering, yes, I did check the serial number, it was definitely my old gun. I almost considered making an offer on it but I wouldn't have gone anywhere near what they were charging, and I could have gotten a brand new 1911 for less.
I also remembered that I'd chosen these to sell for a reason. Still, seeing it there did make me feel a bit sentimental. This was actually the second time this happens to me. Some years ago, I saw a CZ52 I'd sold on the table of the seller I'd sold it to (I recognized that one because it had custom molded grips which I'd made myself). The only other similar thing that's happened to me was when my brother and I went to U-Pick auto parts, which is basically a pull-it-yourself wrecking yard and found our old family car there.

Anyway, has this happened to anyone else here? I figure with how many guns the people on this board purchase, I can't be alone, but it's unusual to actually be able to recognize a specific gun.
My posts kill threads.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Had a kind of similar experience this year with a shotgun. After talking for the best part of 5 years about upgrading my sporting shotgun I finally dropped some coin on a near mint Perazzi MX12 SC3 O/U. This is a pretty rare and not cheap gun, that will see me through my shooting life and be worth at least the same as I bought it when the kids get hold of it. Roll forward 6 months and I'm shooting at a clay ground 100 miles plus away from the gun shop I purchased the item from, and out of the blue a guy walks up to me and says 'are the last 3 numbers of your shotgun serial 661 ?. I had no idea so had to look, sure enough it was. He then said this was a gun he bought new and fired two boxes of shells through before his wife found the receipt and made him take it back to the shop :lol: I told him I've put 250 through it and I never keep my receipts 8-)
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Bought a revolver right here that I had sold here a few years earlier. :lol:
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

Skeezix wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:34 pm Bought a revolver right here that I had sold here a few years earlier. :lol:
Curious, what did it feel like getting it back? Was it like welcoming home the prodigal son, or was it a kind of "meh" feeling? Did you lose any money in the transaction?
My posts kill threads.
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Didn't lose money, but didn't really need it any more.
Sold it again not long after. Such is life.
tector

Post by tector »

Skeezix wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:36 am Didn't lose money, but didn't really need it any more.
Guns and women have some things in common.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

tector wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:32 pm
Skeezix wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:36 am Didn't lose money, but didn't really need it any more.
Guns and women have some things in common.
With women I'm not so sure about the "...didn't lose money..." part, but to be fair you did say "some."
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Not "some". Most !
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !