PSA on flying with a rifle case and TSA locks

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Arkhangel5

PSA on flying with a rifle case and TSA locks

Post by Arkhangel5 »

I posted that I just completed a trip out west to hunt elk.

For my trip I would be taking my FN PBR 308 as my hunting rifle, it was transported in a Pelican 1750 case. Case has 2 locations for locks. I didn't want to use the standard dinky little TSA locks you can buy at Walmart, Target etc, I wanted something a little more robust.
I ended up going with these:

I liked these for the thick solid looking shackle.
These were recommended to me by buddy who is a Captain for Southwest.

I flew from Orlando to Arizona, check in with American Airlines went smooth, I was taken to the TSA checkpoint to have them scan my luggage since it contained firearms. They scanned my stuff while I waited, then one of the TSA officers came out of the room and asked to speak to me. She said they had a problem with my locks. The shackle according to them was too long, it allowed them to open the case enough that they could touch my firearm, they were touching the scope, but whatever. She said they would let it go, but in future use a lock that didn't allow the case to opened enough to touch the firearm. I asked where is that written in the travel rules for firearms, she said it wasn't, but is something that they want. I said thank you for letting me know and I would remedy that in the future. My trip went off with no further hiccups.

So just putting this out there for anyone who plans to travel with a long firearm who has to deal with TSA in future. Use a TSA lock that doesn't allow your case to be opened enough to allow touching on your firearm.

SY
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

SY - great job on your elk!
jr81452

Post by jr81452 »

Don't use TSA locks for firearms. You can buy the TSA master key set on ebay for $20. You are not required to use a TSA lock on any luggage, it just makes it so that if they want to search your bag they MAYBE won't cut your lock. I have used Squire locks on my cases for over a decade and never had a single issue from TSA.
Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities - Voltaire

Zealot: noun 1. a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.
Obiwan

Post by Obiwan »

Federal law states that only the OWNER can possess the key or combination to the gun container. Never use TSA locks. Hang around the check in desk and the TSA will contact you if necessary. Also make sure your cell phone number is on the gun case somewhere. I just use a regular ID tag with a card inside.
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

I use my normal secure lock and when they want to look inside (always in MSP, never in RSW) they ask for the key. I open the case, they make sure the sidearm isn't loaded, and it gets closed up and sent on its merry way.

No lock cutting so far.

AD
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

The airline is also not permitted to require you to open your case to inspect the firearm. American is notorious for asking you to do this, then requiring your ammo to be packaged in an OEM box.

The TSA is very subjective. I've seen things get confiscated at a TSA checkpoint that had been passed by other TSA checkpoints dozens of times, sometimes even the same day.
Obiwan

Post by Obiwan »

I've had American ask to inspect the firearm at the check in counter at MIA. I didn't like that At All!
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

Federal law states that only the OWNER can possess the key or combination to the gun container. Never use TSA locks.
That's what I thought. It's worked for me about a hundred times.

I've only had one TSA employee stop me. It was in Atlanta, and the guy made me buy TSA locks.

I've always flown with a handgun in a locked case inside my luggage. Or flown with it a locked hardsided Samsonite suitcase. They question it less when it's inside a case inside the locked suitcase, but it's still legal packed in clothes inside the locked suitcase.
Obiwan

Post by Obiwan »

This is a reprint of the law. look at section 2 iv below. I suggest you print a copy directly from the CFRs and carry it with you. I've needed to show it to the TSA agents once in Raleigh, NC.

eCFR:: 49 § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

(a) On an individual's person or accessible property - prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property -

(1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;

(2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or

(3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§ 1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.

(b) On an individual's person or accessible property - permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:

(1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.

(2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§ 1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.

(3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless -

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.

(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.