Full implant teeth (not dentures). If you did it please share

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Chris is a great guy.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Talk to several people.

Generally they do not replace ALL of your teeth with implants, a full set side by side takes up more room than the natural root and for most people isn't a good idea. I got a couple implants and several crowns.
fish

Post by fish »

I had not heard about dental implants until a retired friend told me about having two teeth replaced w/ implants.
I'm 73, is there anything I should be doing to help keep my teeth a while longer?
Lots of crowns, otherwise OK.
Chris6424

Post by Chris6424 »

Fish- yes, lots of preventive maintenance (cleanings) and taking care of small cavities(even though they may not be symptomatic) before teeth break or start to hurt. If you only seek dental treatment when something is hurting then every visit will be a disaster.
fish

Post by fish »

Thanks Chris 6424!!!!!
Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher »

I did what Chris6424 suggested, and kept the dozen teeth that were still good, and used implants to secure partials. That was 8 years ago, and I have had zero issues since then. Even that was very expensive, costing me around $20K.
Chris6424

Post by Chris6424 »

If you can retain a few natural teeth you'll be better off. The natural teeth that remain serve as a guide for replacing missing teeth, as well as serving as vertical stops for maintaining a comfortable chewing position. (ie, neither overclosed or underclosed when chewing)
Saburai

Post by Saburai »

This has been a very educational thread! I've got both top and bottom partial bridges as as a few crowns. I've had them since my 20's, 61 now. As I age the spacing and coloration of my own teeth has changed and it looks less than fantastic. I was considering some implants but after reading this perhaps a few more crowns would be a more prudent choice...
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Good decision. You'll find the implant route to be somewhat more complex and overpriced than many anticipate. If you have majority saveable teeth, hold on to them. No, don't let dentists drag it out with bridges; maybe one, but when it's more do something else. I have full dentures, non anchored, because all my teeth had to come out around 30 years ago. I didn't go the implant route because I felt that if something went wrong, immediately or eventually, it would be a pain to correct, whereas dentures not right only requires a new mold. I've been through three sets of dentures - they do wear out - and never any real problems. I can eat steak, corn on the cob.

Good luck.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

I just had one tooth and bone graphs done. Be very careful, I went in with a bad infection and in pretty bad pain. So bad I had taken the pain meds from my last accident. Looking back they tore a page straight out of a car dealers book. I thought I would be paying 4 grand (up front) for three implants two extractions, the bone graph and a crown. Ends up t was 4 grand for one implant, the bone graph and two extractions. Then they tried to hit me for another 8 grand for the two other implants.
I have excellent dental insurance, the extractions should only be 34$, the crown 290. Nothing else was covered.
Bottom line, research, research, research. Go in clear headed and not in pain and get more than one opinion. For the other two teeth I'll be getting a bridge at another dentist when they finish the 4 grand worth of work I paid them for.