Post-storm check-in

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

flcracker wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:55 am All good here in Sarasota. Lots of debris but minimal damage. Folks just south of us got slammed. Haven't heard from friends in Boca Grande, Rotonda, Englewood and Venice yet.
I have buddies in Rotonda that are OK, although they did suffer a considerable bit of damage. PVC fences coming down, one guy even has an attic ceiling fan on his front lawn, where none existed in his neighborhood.

Can you tell how North Port (southern Sarasota County) fared?
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

My friend from Rotonda checked in - 75% of his shingles are gone, his pool cage is standing but no screen, a facia board came loose and wind got under the decking so they had water coming in the ceiling of the master bedroom, and water was coming out of smoke detector, fan, and light fixtures. But, he's got tarps on and a generator so he's in recovery mode.

North Port - structural wind damage is pretty much directly related to the age of the structure. Flooding was related to how close you are to Big Slough/Myakkahatchee Creek and the feeder canals. Some folks had water to their doorstep, others had it chest deep inside the house.

Everything I've heard/seen from folks as far south as Port Charlotte has been bad but fixable - not completely devastated. South of there is a different story. Years ago I lived on the north end of Pine Island - I can't imagine what it was like to ride this one out down there.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

This link will take you to the NOAA post-storm sattelite imagery. You can zoom in close enough to see rooftops and get an idea of what it looks like in your friends' neighborhoods.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/ ... 2/-82.1393
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher »

piece of cake for us, both at our Miami place on Biscayne Bay, and here in Gainesville.
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

Thankfully nothing of any consequence here at my AO in Manatee Co.
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

Here in the Thonotosassa/Zephyhills area....Well, I was going to pay someone a princely sum to remove moss from the big quad oak next to the driveway. Ian took care of a bunch of it, leaving us with an 8' pile of it, and a ton of small branches. Couple of larger oaks bit the dust in my neighborhood. No pines though, but I'm getting a couple of cords of oak to season by helping my neighbors clear their property. Also flooding at the bottom of the hill here. No water intrusion in the house, and a few days without power or cell service. Whoopdie Doo. We got off pretty light, all things considered.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

Pasco - got lucky. Only damage was the screen that I cut out to put up shutters. Very greatful the storm went around but sorry it bypassed us at a cost to others.
trucking2120

Post by trucking2120 »

Live in Rotonda, just got cable/internet yesterday. Had major tree damage and insurance company is telling me not covered. They are sending a adjuster out for the roof damage. Feel lucky but also depressed at having to deal with the insurance company. Got mom out the morning of storm and up to Tampa for four days in a hotel.