Beef Jerky

Discussions on good cigars, fine spirits and your favorite recipes and foods!
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I got hooked on this stuff while visiting Wisconsin.
https://www.wisconsinrivermeats.com/thanks.php
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
chester field

Post by chester field »

flcracker wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 am If you have a GFS (Gordon Food Service) near you, they sell 10-12# boneless lean beef knuckles for $3.69/#. I've been using it for snack sticks, summer sausage, jerky, and biltong. They sell boneless pork butts that I use for kielbasa and other sausages for $1.59/# - cheaper than Costco.
That's the only place I buy my pork anymore. No off-taste like some of the grocers. I cure pork loin (Peameal Bacon -which is real canadian bacon, and Canadian Bacon, which is the American version of it), and this is the best tasting and a good price. Plus pork butt, shoulder, cushion. Mmmmmmm. Smoke it, grind it, cure it. Love it.

Plus the whole beef tenderloin, if you know how to break it down into filets, roasts and then just grind up the chain and leftover bits. And brisket, which is also good for jerky at about $2/lb.
Common Sense... so rare it's like a super power
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I grew up in Canada, where there is no such thing as Canadian bacon. The bacon I ate at breakfast while living in Canada looked exactly like the strips of bacon I eat here in Florida. I don’t know which American coined the term “Canadian bacon” but when I lived in Canada, the term “Canadian bacon” didn’t exist. But what do Americans know about Canada? They see the commercial for an Egg McMuffin, & like the internet, take it for the God’s honest truth. This is the same thing as calling a magazine a clip. GARY

“The term "Canadian bacon" is not used in Canada, where the product is generally known simply as "back bacon" while "bacon" alone refers to the same streaky pork belly bacon as in the United States. Peameal bacon is a variety of back bacon popular in Ontario where the loin is wet cured before being rolled in cornmeal (originally yellow pea meal); it is unsmoked”.
chester field

Post by chester field »

N4KVE wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:02 am I grew up in Canada, where there is no such thing as Canadian bacon. The bacon I ate at breakfast while living in Canada looked exactly like the strips of bacon I eat here in Florida. I don’t know which American coined the term “Canadian bacon” but when I lived in Canada, the term “Canadian bacon” didn’t exist. But what do Americans know about Canada? They see the commercial for an Egg McMuffin, & like the internet, take it for the God’s honest truth. This is the same thing as calling a magazine a clip. GARY

“The term "Canadian bacon" is not used in Canada, where the product is generally known simply as "back bacon" while "bacon" alone refers to the same streaky pork belly bacon as in the United States. Peameal bacon is a variety of back bacon popular in Ontario where the loin is wet cured before being rolled in cornmeal (originally yellow pea meal); it is unsmoked”.
All true. Peameal bacon is cured and not smoked. "Canadian bacon" is smoked usually (and not Canadian).

Gary if you miss the peameal bacon, I have perfected my recipe. It takes about 4 days to make.
Common Sense... so rare it's like a super power
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

chester field wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:57 pm Gary if you miss the peameal bacon, I have perfected my recipe. It takes about 4 days to make.
Thanks, but I never tasted it. I grew up in Montreal where the strips of bacon look, & taste exactly like they do here. GARY.