Pistol brace upgrade to SBR FREE!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
N4KVE

Pistol brace upgrade to SBR FREE!

Post by N4KVE »

So it looks like pistol braces are, or will soon be history, but you can upgrade to a real butt stock, & the stamp is free. But you must include a photo of the pistol with a brace on it. So even if one has a pistol with no brace, one could borrow a brace, photo said pistol with a brace, & get the SBR stamp for free. This is GREAT! Only in America. GARY.
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/09/atf-pi ... n-program/
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

Hmmm, a government run program where you "register" your SBR and send in a photo.

A few hundred million emails into the ATF.

Or does all this get snail mailed in?

What could possibly go wrong?

AD
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

No thanks. I have no intention of contributing to ATF's not-so-subtle registry project. The main bonus of using a brace on an AR pistol (aside from making one handed firing easier, of course) is that I can legally travel from state to friendly state with a pistol whenever I feel like it, without asking the ATF's permission. With an SBR, I have to submit a Form 20 in advance and wait for approval, AND they have my details on file regarding that weapon. That's not a fair trade for saving $200 in rapidly declining dollars. If they decide to change their minds (again) in the future and start collecting door-to-door, why would I want to make it easy on them?

They can keep their "free" stamps, and I'll just go back to doing what a lot of folks did for years before the stabilizing brace concept was born - using a foam padded pistol buffer tube, maybe with a crutch tip stuck on the end. With the negligible recoil of 5.56 (or even .300 Blackout) there's really no need for anything resembling a stock, if a person is willing to practice.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

Ya I agree with you Odessaman.
Nothing great about this.
The ATF makes things up as they go.
I also would simply remove my brace and carry on…
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

They can take their *free* offer to gather more data and insert it into their 4th point of contact. Will not comply. For any glowboys monitoring this, your move, asshats.
revelation

Post by revelation »

How can you consider yourself an "American" and work for the ATF?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

It is so unfortunate that I went fishing and all my firearms went to the bottom of the ocean so I have no dog in this game.

If I still had my pistol with the brace, instead of it sleeping with the fishes, I might be tempted for a free stamp if they don't require the local LEO to sign off as I my resident Commie will not sign. Why? I would love to be able to have a fixed stock and (foldable) legal fore-grip!

But I very much doubt the Kommies will let a free one fly. They would rather kick down your doors and take anything after shooting the residents. Do'oh! Wrong address- again!
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

revelation wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:41 am How can you consider yourself an "American" and work for the ATF?
You could say the same thing about democrats, liberals, far right nut jobs, etc, etc. Its a job and a pension for most of them and they have no idea what the laws they enforce do to collectors or enthusiasts or violate the constitution because they are not part of that crowd and frankly don't care. They may hunt, but we already know what many hunters think about AR's.

Most who enforce the laws, hardly or don't know what the Constitution, Bill of Rights say or mean and have never read the Federalist papers to get an idea of what the founding fathers had in their minds when they wrote them.

FBI proved this at Ruby Ridge and WACO.

Gov't agents would rather raid Melania's panty draw and follow the commander in chief and sniff away.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Flame Red wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:28 pm If I still had my pistol with the brace, instead of it sleeping with the fishes, I might be tempted for a free stamp if they don't require the local LEO to sign off as I my resident Commie will not sign. Why? I would love to be able to have a fixed stock and (foldable) legal fore-grip!
They no longer require CLEO signoff.
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

Wakko wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:29 am
Flame Red wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:28 pm If I still had my pistol with the brace, instead of it sleeping with the fishes, I might be tempted for a free stamp if they don't require the local LEO to sign off as I my resident Commie will not sign. Why? I would love to be able to have a fixed stock and (foldable) legal fore-grip!
They no longer require CLEO signoff.
Correct - since the passage of 41F you now only need to "Inform" the CLEO, i.e. send a copy of the form (no serial number or photograph) to the CLEO.
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.