Unless you are from here you don't know the struggle.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Allme

Unless you are from here you don't know the struggle.

Post by Allme »

I remember it snowing since then, twice. Maybe not sticking to the ground but I remember flurries.

https://www.wtsp.com/amp/article/weathe ... 7eb482d75b

It's been 45 years since it last snowed across Tampa Bay
The roads were a slick mess, with many crashes reported.
Author: Andrew Krietz
Published: 6:50 PM EST January 19, 2022
Updated: 6:50 PM EST January 19, 2022

TAMPA, Fla. — Snow in parts of the Florida Panhandle happens every so often during the wintertime but farther south, it's a more infrequent occurrence.

Rare, even — it's been 45 years since Tampa Bay picked up a couple of inches of snow. Back on Jan. 19, 1977, it snowed enough to bring out the ruler, and it was the last time measurable snow was recorded.

Tampa saw 0.2 inches of snow while locations east picked up an inch or two. That's an amount people up north laugh at but down here, it's more than enough to cause problems.

The Tampa Tribune at the time reported 79 people were treated across seven Hillsborough County hospitals for crash-related injuries that happened on slick roads. Elsewhere across the state, hundreds of more accidents were reported — at least 200 in the Tampa Bay area alone.

Citrus and vegetable industries were left reeling, with 150,000 migrant workers losing their jobs, according to CBS Miami.

It was all thanks to a powerful winter cold front that began pushing through late in the day on Jan. 18. The air sank so far into the Sunshine State that South Florida picked up some flakes, CBS Miami said. Miami Beach, too!

According to the Tampa Bay Times, students in Pinellas County got the day off because the utility company couldn't heat the schools.

With low temperatures in the 40s and 50s tonight and no moisture in the air, don't expect any sort of repeat from 45 years ago
George W

Post by George W »

I remember it, even though I was only 5 years old. My brothers and I built a snow man (miniature sized) on the hood of my my mom's car. I wore green gloves, and my brother Phil had on a Scotty's hat..... It is weird what memories stick, especially since I have had my hard drive reset at least twice with TBIs.
gforester

Post by gforester »

I too remember that day. The snow on my car (a 1967 Mercury Cougar) melted and ran down into the door latch mechanism and then refroze. I had to take a propane torch to the door handles to thaw them enough to get the door open to go to work.The news that day reported that the bridge over the St Johns river in Jax was shut down due to multiple pileups on the bridge during morning rush hour.
tector

Post by tector »

I remember that day well (10th grade). It was only a very brief, fine powder down here (Broward) but it is the only official snow ever here.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Bmup

Post by Bmup »

I remember riding my motorcycle to work that day, then a little while later, scraping up enough snow from the shady side of the warehouse for snowballs to pelt the boss when he came in late. Good times!
"Biden/Harris 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
OKIE

Post by OKIE »

I was working the 3-11 shift that week, so I was sleeping in, and missed it all. My exe drove through it going to work, from Clearwater to St Pete it snowed all the way, about 0600. It was every cold getting off work at 2300 the night before, and after.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

I remember the blizzard of 77.
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

The great blizzard of '77.

Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

We are having Florida weather in England this summer :D
tector

Post by tector »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:18 pm We are having Florida weather in England this summer :D
We will gladly donate our hurricanes to you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”