Needs some advice on a few things...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Big_mike

Needs some advice on a few things...

Post by Big_mike »

Gents,

I'm taking my 12 y/o jeep camping this weekend. I know it is supposed to be suck ass cold but he really needs some dad time.

Looking for recommendations for a camping spot at or nearby somewhere I can shoot in CFL? Currently looking at either Juniper Springs ($31 a night!) or Hopkins Prairie (could be full when I get there) in Ocala due to being close to the forestry range on Hwy 40.

I'm also taking a cap and ball pistol with me and shooting it for the first time. I have wax wads, projo's, powder and measure. My uncle is telling me I need to load this pistol: powder>wax wad>projo>grease (to prevent chain fire). I don't have grease, is it needed - what should I use?

Anybody have a recommendation on a good place to tent camp and shoot?

Any tips on the BP pistol loading?

Anybody else want to meet up?

Thanks in advance fellas...
Last edited by Big_mike on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Crisco works fine for BP guns.
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

TC6969 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:46 pm Crisco works fine for BP guns.
Thanks, I have plenty of that on hand.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

How the best way to load for a Cap and Ball pistol is as loaded a question as what is the best type pistol to carry or whats the best caliber.. lots of ways.

Here is one guy I like and he knows his stuff.. for me seeing is always better..

Here is a guy that uses lubed wads. I would only argue with him the wads for me increase accuracy.

The big things I have done for safety and ease is to make sure your ball as it goes in is a little larger then the cylinder so as you load it in you leave a small shaved ring so you can see that the round is sealed in and protecting the powder from flash and a chain fire reaction.

Also make sure your caps are on tightly and the correct size because that is how chain fires probably happen, from flashes getting into the caps and back of the cylinder.

Those caps after you fire them can mangle really badly and can fall off into the body of the gun and jam up the trigger & hammer when you pull back the hammer to cock the next shot. So I try to cock the gun with the barrel up so that if the mangled cap falls off it will fall to the ground and not into the gun.

have fun
Last edited by indy1919a4 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

I initially read that as you were taking your 12 year old Jeep camping... -facepalm-
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Check out Salt Springs (developed park) and Freak Creek (free dispersed camping). I haven't been to FC, but a friend of mine takes her hounds camping there several times a year and loves it.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

indy1919a4 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:58 pm How the best way to load for a Cap and Ball pistol is as loaded a question as what is the best type pistol to carry or whats the best caliber.. lots of ways.

Here is one guy I like and he knows his stuff.. for me seeing is always better..

Here is a guy that uses lubed wads. I would only argue with him the wads for me increase accuracy.

The big things I have done for safety and ease is to make sure your ball as it goes in is a little larger then the cylinder so as you load it in you leave a small shaved ring so you can see that the round is sealed in and protecting the powder from flash and a chain fire reaction.

Also make sure your caps are on tightly and the correct size because that is how chain fires probably happen, from flashes getting into the caps and back of the cylinder.

Those caps after you fire them can mangle really badly and can fall off into the body of the gun and jam up the trigger & hammer when you pull back the hammer to cock the next shot. So I try to cock the gun with the barrel up so that if the mangled cap falls off it will fall to the ground and not into the gun.

have fun
Thanks for the info man, I ended up not shooting the c & b pistol as I was myopic on my 12 y/o shooting his pistol and coaching him. I think I need some time to myself to carefully load and shoot to be safe. Probably going next weekend by myself.
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

flcracker wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:14 pm Check out Salt Springs (developed park) and Freak Creek (free dispersed camping). I haven't been to FC, but a friend of mine takes her hounds camping there several times a year and loves it.
I've camped salt springs, freak creek will be a new spot I'll try.

Hopkins prairie was brutally cold this weekend, not the worst I've experienced in our fair weather state but one for the books. Once the wind started on Sat it just didn't quit. It was too windy to keep a lantern lit, stove going at less than wide open, and certainly too much for a fire. We ate some stew and drank some hot cocoa and decided to batten down for the night early. We climbed in to our gortex sleeping bags and buttoned up tight, listening to the howling winds roar all damn night. Sounded like a tornado was coming in on us. When we woke we found all of our water frozen solid 'cept those in the cooler! Hell, the next day my son had to dope 3 mils for wind on the 100yd range with with his 22. Lots of good teaching opportunities for my son this weekend, we embraced the suck.
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

Wakko wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:38 pm I initially read that as you were taking your 12 year old Jeep camping... -facepalm-
We took my 30 y/o jeep camping all the same and I got to teach my 12 y/o to drive a stick shift!

Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

TC6969 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:46 pm Crisco works fine for BP guns.
Thanks TC.