New Ruger LCP Max

Pistols of all descriptions.
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

30SC…….??
Nice LCP MAXX inside the pants holster. Picked it up at the last Ocala show. Leather and stitching, excellent.

Clip is not the original, I swapped it w this one,,,,a tad narrower.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Good looking holster. Should do real well for the Max.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

Deputydave wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:25 am Be interesting to see if this new 30SC catches on and if something like the Max gets chambered for it.
The 30SC makes way too much pressure to be chambered in a pocket .380.
If Ruger came out with a 30SCmax, it would be a bigger gun. Think Glock 42 vs 43.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Gotcha, thanks. Really haven't read too much on this new caliber. At the moment I have no interest in it but curious to see if it's going to catch on. I already see some pistols chambered for it up on FGT.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

30sc is another way to try to sell new guns. Yes, Dan is right, it would have to be a more robust pistol. Because of stupid/dishonest actions by the .gov, alternatives in between 9mm short/kurz/380/9x17 and 9x19 Parabellum have been pushed into "collector" status. Speaking of things like CZ 52 in 7.62 x25, or the venerable Makarov in 9x18. Ammo used to be cheap, too. I'd consider either preferable to the 30.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

I laid off the Max for a couple of weeks in favor of the P365 as a little experiment. This was for in-and-about the house/neighborhood in addition to EDC. The P365 is definitely doable in the full roll, but there is no denying the Max is simply more comfortable. Wore it again today around the house and it really is a ‘wear it and forget it’ pistol. Which makes sense as with comparable 12-round mags it’s about 10 ounces lighter which is pretty significant. Combined with a smaller footprint it’s pretty much perfect for the role.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I've been going round and round with the same issue, just a different pocketable 9 against my LCP Max. The LCP Max wins.

I'm not a police officer, so I'll not be getting involved with all sorts of issues outside of an attack on myself or family; my objective is just getting out of the situation. Sure, I'd like to be of help if I see a serious attack on someone nearby, but I'm a bit old for heroics. As an aside, there was a discussion on another forum about capacity. One poster talked about laying down "suppressive fire." None of that for me, it's exit stage left or wherever I can make it. A 38 special is the common answer to my practical requirements. With modern ammunition, .380/9x17/9mm short is sufficiently equivalent. I don't need the range of some other rounds, as I don't have any business shooting at anyone more than 5 yards away, while I'm out at Publix. So, LCP Max does the job, with enough extra in case of a couple of attackers. Anyone who fantasizes more should think about taking cover, this isn't the movies.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

REDinFL wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:59 pm As an aside, there was a discussion on another forum about capacity. One poster talked about laying down "suppressive fire."
I saw a poster like that on another forum a while back. Everyone asked him what he was going to do about all the misses he would be making while laying down his suppressive fire...he quietly left the thread. Guy was a whack job. But unfortunately, their out there. Years ago I started one of my 'Woods Carry' threads. Had another yahoo chime in that he didn't feel comfortable walking in the woods with anything less than a Glock 20 10mm with a bandolier with eight spare mags. I kid you not. Sure, the G20 was reasonable, the bandolier with 8 extra mags not so much. I asked him where he was hiking...Afganistan?

In short, the Max hits a sweet spot. Small/light enough to disappear in a pocket while having enough capacity in case of more than one threat. As mentioned above, it will be interesting to see if the Max jump starts a resurgence of interest in 380 pistols and if makers will revamp their offerings for increased capacity.

I'd be curious how many of the Max that Ruger has sold to date. I know they stated they had sold over 1.2 million LCP pistols and that was back in 2012 so you can imagine how many LCP, LCP2 and Max pistols are now out in the wild.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Well it's been over a years since the last post. Still have the Max and it's still going strong. Still great for when you need/want the smallest possible footprint.

Surprised S&W hasn't announced some type of 380BG model that competes.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

My Max took a half mile swim with me down the Estero river when my canoe capsized this past summer. Immediately took it apart cleaned and lubed. Still works like a champ. Impressed with this little gun.