CMP mostly sold out

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
Wakko

CMP mostly sold out

Post by Wakko »

For many years the CMP warned that the supply of Garands was finite. Once the gubmint had depleted their inventory of them, CMP was able to get some lend/lease returns but the quality kept going down and one by one, the various grades available were listed as "SOLD OUT". In December they finally closed the door on the last of the "original" Garands, leaving only the refurbs (with Criterion barrels, new wood, and poor metal finishes on the receivers). Considering that the last Field Grades were $650 six months ago, and the individual buying limit was 8 per year, it's not surprising. Dealers were having their employees buy their alotment to be sold in stores, which of course violates the terms and spirit of the CMPs purchase program. I wish they'd stuck with the one per year limit, but maybe they needed the revenue. Either way, it's a sad day. Yes, there are Garands still available on their auction site, and they're usually really really nice, but go for big money.

It'll be interesting to see the long term with the 1911s. So far it's limited to one per person's lifetime, and the hoops to jump through to get one deters all but the more committed collectors. Depending on how many total pistols that they get from storage, I wonder if they will end up with a surplus and allow people to purchase a second one. They are currently on RGN (Randomly generated number) 27k+ and the original estimate is that there were 175k pistols. Will all of those go to CMP? Will a future administration cork the sales and order them destroyed? Time will tell.

Go to your safe, pull out your CMP Garand, and give it a hug.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

Wow, logically you know they had to run out sometime.. But its always a bitter moment when it happens. :(
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I just sold 2 of 3 CMP Garands for a customer on Gunbroker ( all with CMP paperwork ) , they went for $ 1099 and $ 1299 and the Fulton redo listed for $ $2099 has not sold, the cheap guns are long gone, this past summer we saw POS rack grade Garands crest the $1100- 1200 mark and everyone dug them out of the gun safes and put them up for sale.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

rentprop1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:11 pm I just sold 2 of 3 CMP Garands for a customer on Gunbroker ( all with CMP paperwork ) , they went for $ 1099 and $ 1299 and the Fulton redo listed for $ $2099 has not sold, the cheap guns are long gone, this past summer we saw POS rack grade Garands crest the $1100- 1200 mark and everyone dug them out of the gun safes and put them up for sale.
In all honesty, I have been shocked how cheap M1 Garands have stayed over the last few years comparing them to M1 Carbines. The Garands are a better rifle but there was no CMP suppling Carbines as late. So it will be neat to see what happens to Garands over the next few years.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I went to a gun store the owner has an M1 that a customer got for 1K off GB is was in such bad shape but I guess that's what they are going for.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
George W

Post by George W »

I was at the TMP 4 times last year. While their store page is mostly sold out, the story I got from an employee at the CMP South warehouse is that they have at least 50k more M1s to work through. They're selling a shit ton of their "Specials" right now to work through the poor wood examples from the Philippine repatriation.

I have three of their specials that I hand picked. They are either Rack or Field grades and look great. I honestly couldn't always tell the difference between a lot of the grades. There were some shit examples in all grades though so I would never mail order one due to the risk of getting a turd.

Skuttlebutt says there is over 100k 1911s still in storage at AAD waiting to be transferred to the CMP in addition to the 25k they allegedly got.

Now, if the CMP could start buying stripped lowers and building rifles from the millions of M16A1s and A2 the Army is sitting on, that would be awesome. Never gonna happen though.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

There were originally 175k 1911s according to the news releases from the Obama era. Do we know how many the CMP has gotten so far? They've not said, have they?
George W

Post by George W »

Wakko wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:42 pm There were originally 175k 1911s according to the news releases from the Obama era. Do we know how many the CMP has gotten so far? They've not said, have they?
Nothing official, but I read somewhere that the CMP got at least 25k so far.