Local Gunsmith

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
BIG JOE

Local Gunsmith

Post by BIG JOE »

Looking for a gunsmith in Broward County to fit a Ruger 22 magnum cylinder into an old style Single Six SA revolver.
Got the parts just need someone good to do the job. Thanks in advance for any help.
BIG JOE
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Tag because I'd like to find a good gunsmith around here as well!
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

I'm am looking too.
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Nexus shooting range supposedly has a gunsmith. Just a cylinder change out? Should be able to do it yourself on a single six?!
ss1

Post by ss1 »

GunsandHoses wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:33 pm Nexus shooting range supposedly has a gunsmith. Just a cylinder change out? Should be able to do it yourself on a single six?!
Agreed, both the LR and magnum cylinders should have the same overall length and could/should be just drop-in. If the new model cylinder is too tight, some stoning should do the trick. I’m assuming you have a cylinder from a Ruger Single Six.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Ruger will fit a new magnum cylinder to your Single Six and serialize it to match your gun.

Advice I found on rinfirecentral com:
Hello, I must add that just because it fits doesn't mean it fits proper. I am a gunsmith and I have to chime in so that some new shooter with less experience or common sense don't go to thinking that anything that pops into their revolver window that fits will work safely or as designed. Some folks might follow this idea and think it is ok to use a center fire cylinder for a 9mm in any old 357, etc just because it fits. Not so in any caliber friends.

Most cylinders will pop in the 22 Ruger and often be timed fine due to close production tolerences, but they must have correct hand length to insure it "carries up" properly and locks into battery correctly. Many will time fine without adjustment, but some folks will find that even though the cylinder fits and seemingly cocks fine and sounds like it times, will find out that it may shave lead because it was not actually in line - hence the ranging rod. Also, the gap should be checked to make sure it is somewhere around .004 to .010. The bolt may need some adjustment as well as it may drag a little on the cylinder and create a more profound line and accelerate wear with less use than normal. So, it isn't just a pop in, and I would never recommend shooting it without a gunsmith running proper checks for you-an inexpensive task. Also fairly cheap to have Ruger fit a new one serialized specifically for your revolver which they will warranty. If your gun goes south, and you send it in with a cylinder that wasn't marked by them, your warranty will be void. Just a few things to think over.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)