Beretta Tomcat 3032 Cracked Frame after 100 rounds!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Then I asked them:
Do you know if anyone has in the past successfully repaired such damage? I was thinking of taking it to someone who repairs jewelry and knows how to weld small parts; perhaps such a person could fix the crack.
The frame is made of aluminum correct? Is it pure aluminum or a mixture of metals?
And they replied with:
Such a service would require tungsten inert gas welding and machining of the material, which is not full proof and may still result in further breakages. The frame integrity is compromised. Again, we recommend retiring the pistol. Jewelers--to my knowledge--generally specialize in gold and silver repair, but are probably unable to address 7075-T6 aluminum handgun frames with anodizing.

Financially, this is not a feasible service, as the cost of pursuing TIG welding is based not only on labor, but the fee per pound of weld deposited to the frame. Labor averages $100/hr, plus materials and other fees. This also does not account for the removal of excess deposits to allow for proper tolerances, which will incur additional fees. Coupled with shipping, the cost of pursuing this service will likely meet or exceed the value of your firearm. Personally, we would recommend simply selling the firearm to Numrich and obtaining a replacement unit. The process is cheaper, safer, and much more effective.
Droknows

Post by Droknows »

They must really have a deal with numrich. If I we’re going the route of parting it out/selling it as is, I would part it out on eBay. Might surprise you.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Droknows wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:05 pm They must really have a deal with numrich. If I we’re going the route of parting it out/selling it as is, I would part it out on eBay. Might surprise you.
nah. I plan on keeping it and fixing it myself. I will switch ammo to something less hot (though a dinky little Keltec P32 ate 300-400 rounds of the same so far and never complained!!!), then I will likely polish the edges of the crack to round them off, so even if the front or back part of the cracked bar raises for some reason from recoil it will glide smoothly against the bottom of the slide. I just don't think I can trust this gun with my life sadly :( I really expected better from Beretta... why put out a gun that can't handle standard off the shelf factory loaded, NOT +P, ammo??? The Inox version which I believe has a steel frame has no issued with same ammo and I heard that in the past Beretta would offer to replace the cracked pistol with an Inox version... I expected the same to happen, but to be frank the fault lies with me 100%. I ignored the flyer stating ammo requirements and proceeded to shoot the gun without checking S&B ammo specs :( Oh well. But I can still make it work, put a 9mm suppressor on it and have some fun plinking...