I imagine our Afghan vets are having some real bad memories right now

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

zeebaron wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:34 pm
tector wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:12 pm
hotspur wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:04 pm

Taliban?
From our perspective, certainly mentally ill. But as women--dem be some UGLY broads lol.
That's one of the reasons why the Afghani males have sex with each other instead.

(and yes that comes from a military friend eyewitness who saw it happening all the time themselves when they were there)
Don't forget about the sheep or was it goats I can't remember. :D
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

The crazy part is they going to send a ton of them here and they get free health care.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
tector

Post by tector »

lakelandman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:10 pm The crazy part is they going to send a ton of them here and they get free health care.
I don't have a problem taking in the actual people who helped us (translators, etc.)--that is a small number (somewhere between 18k to 24k). If we made promises to protect people we should live up to them--it is both the moral thing to do and good business (you want people in the future to believe your promises). They are less likely to be like the backward zealots they are fleeing. Of course they have to be vetted. But really they are a drop in the bucket compared to the unvetted shitflow over our southern border. The Border Patrol had over 200,000 encounters with invaders on the Mexican border in July alone--that doesn't count all the people they DIDN'T encounter, coming in unvetted, sick, whatever. A total fucking disgrace. But they will lean Democrat when amnestied eventually, so....
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

As an Iraq vet who has struggled mightily over the years with my own issues, I finally got myself somewhat straightened out and got training and now function as an on-call suicide prevention counselor for other vets. In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king and all that. I've had several difficult calls around this complete clustergaggle of an attempt at disengagement. Shades of 1975 Saigon. There was never going to be a completely easy way to get out, but this was handled exceptionally poorly IMO.

My words of consolation are that they did their best there to give the Afghan people a shot at holding together an organized democratic country and that it's not our vet's fault that the government and ANA leadership are/were corrupt from top to bottom. Our sacrifices were for an attempt to jump start their country, but they didn't want it badly enough and there is no reason for any of my brethren to be ashamed. Angry? Hell yes, I'm pissed off, and I didn't serve in that theater at all, thankfully.

I was equally irritated to the point of boiling over when ISIS overran much of Northern Iraq after our departure. I knew all of the major cities in the north very well and to see them overrun by the likes of those cowards was galling. I get it. Soldiers are PISSED.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

I’m steering my two teenaged boys as far away from the military as I possibly can, and encourage parents everywhere to do the same for their own offspring.
Until Congress returns to their constitutional responsibility to declare wars, we have no legitimacy sending soldiers, sailors, marines or airmen around the world looking for monsters to slay.
R/Griff
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

"I imagine our Afghan vets are having some real bad memories right now"

I can atrestt that every veteran I have spoken to is disgusted. Including me!

Not to mention very angry!
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

S&W collector wrote:
zeebaron wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:34 pm
tector wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:12 pm

From our perspective, certainly mentally ill. But as women--dem be some UGLY broads lol.
That's one of the reasons why the Afghani males have sex with each other instead.

(and yes that comes from a military friend eyewitness who saw it happening all the time themselves when they were there)
Don't forget about the sheep or was it goats I can't remember. :D