Beretta Tomcat 3032 Cracked Frame after 100 rounds!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Well lets hope Beretta workers don't scan gun forums,if so,you just fucked yourself.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

TonyR wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:15 pm Well lets hope Beretta workers don't scan gun forums,if so,you just fucked yourself.
I told them what ammo I was using before I saw that article. I would have told them anyways, that ammo was rated at 177ft/lbs out of a 4 inch barrel; TomCat has 2.9" barrel, so who knows... either way I can gunsmith around the issue and am pretty sure I can make the gun work regardless of the crack. :o
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

It looks workable
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

armedpolak wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:21 pm
TonyR wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:15 pm Well lets hope Beretta workers don't scan gun forums,if so,you just fucked yourself.
I told them what ammo I was using before I saw that article. I would have told them anyways, that ammo was rated at 177ft/lbs out of a 4 inch barrel; TomCat has 2.9" barrel, so who knows... either way I can gunsmith around the issue and am pretty sure I can make the gun work regardless of the crack. :o
That sucks you think they put a warning label on the box or inside because I'm sure you are not the only one who has done that I hope they make it right and fix it keep us posted very interesting post.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

I have thought often about getting one of these for pocket carry but always stopped short for fear of this happening and the fact that many .380s are as easy to carry in the pocket.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

45caldan wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:02 am I have thought often about getting one of these for pocket carry but always stopped short for fear of this happening and the fact that many .380s are as easy to carry in the pocket.
yes but the recoil of a pocket size 380 vs 32 is night and day. yes I am recoil sensitive despite being 6'4" and fairly athletic, as is my wife who's 5'2" and under 100lbs :shock:

my 12yo son could not handle shooting my Ruger LCP in 380 but was able to comfortably shoot the TomCat until it broke on us...
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

lakelandman wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:06 am
armedpolak wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:21 pm
That sucks you think they put a warning label on the box or inside because I'm sure you are not the only one who has done that I hope they make it right and fix it keep us posted very interesting post.
yea about that... there was a separate page talking about kind of ammo and energy levels, I just outright scoffed at it, tor it up and threw it out, then proceeded with the ammo I had... I did not bother checking the ammo energy levels, and I also read on the internet LOLOLOLOL that this problem occurred in older models and has been fixed :? I also heard that Beretta will often offer the Inox version as replacement, I think it has a frame made of different alloy or metal...
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

BERETTA'S RESPONSE:
Hello Martin:

Thank you for contacting Beretta Technical Services.

Thats unfortunate! We recommend refraining from the use of this ammunition with Tomcats. The Tomcat's limitations are 130 foot pounds of muzzle energy. A quick check shows that the aforementioned Sellier & Bellot ammunition that you are using produces a muzzle energy rating of 176 foot pounds, 46 foot pounds more energy than the Tomcat is capable of accepting. Use of any value of ammunition in excess of the maximum limit will stress the frame to fracture and induce cycling malfunctions over time.

For clarification on your ammunition, please see the following: https://www.luckygunner.com/32-auto-73- ... -50-rounds

If you would like to return your firearm for inspection, we are happy to oblige. However, the frame can no longer be repaired. Please let us know if you wish to proceed.

Please be advised, that ammunition manufacturers have--in recent years, changed the values of the .32 ACP base cartridge, creating rounds that are far more powerful than original .32 ACP that many firearms are designed around. We recommend a verification of all ammunition before use.

If there is anything else we can do to assist, or if you have additional questions, please let us know!

We thank you for choosing Beretta.

Kind regards,

Beretta Technical Services
Looks like I will be fixing it myself... :(
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

That's some bullshit. So that's a no on most modern defense loads. My keltec p32 eats S&B all day. My old cz50s wouldn't function 100% with winchester white box, and when I went to S&B they were flawless.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

mohshard wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:20 pm That's some bullshit. So that's a no on most modern defense loads. My keltec p32 eats S&B all day. My old cz50s wouldn't function 100% with winchester white box, and when I went to S&B they were flawless.
same. wife carries Keltec P32 and I only load it with S&B ammo; we must have shot 500+ rounds through it without ever a single glitch (except the slide doesn't always lock back, but I don't consider that a malfunction).