Legality of shipping a long gun in state

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
srqsteve

Legality of shipping a long gun in state

Post by srqsteve »

I'm pretty sure that this is legal: selling and shipping a long gun in the state of FL without using an FFL, but does anyone know "Chapter and verse" of FL code to back this up?
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

srqsteve wrote:I'm pretty sure that this is legal: selling and shipping a long gun in the state of FL without using an FFL, but does anyone know "Chapter and verse" of FL code to back this up?
It’s legal to ship directly to another person within your own state via USPS, otherwise you must ship to a FFL. I went through a lot of hassle once a couple of years ago with my local post office to prove how wrong they were.
Absolutely no pistols, or firearms with barrels under 16” allowed.
Here’s the blurb from ATF’s website:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-non ... al-service
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

Make sure to take a copy of the regulations with you to the post office. The first person will tell you they can not ship. The third person will tell you they can not ship. You may have to talk w/ the supervisor's supervisor but if you are persistent and have the backup, they will ship the rifle or shotgun in state.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/ ... dt_001.htm
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

neverenoughguns wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:30 pm Make sure to take a copy of the regulations with you to the post office. The first person will tell you they can not ship. The third person will tell you they can not ship. You may have to talk w/ the supervisor's supervisor but if you are persistent and have the backup, they will ship the rifle or shotgun in state.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/ ... dt_001.htm
Better yet, box it at home, buy postage online and then simply drop off at post office or hand to your mailman. No questions asked. And if somebody does ask a question, "parts" is the answer.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

They don’t ever ask is this a firearm. They do ask are there lithium batteries in the package. So you will not be lying. GARY.
Wizard78

Post by Wizard78 »

dammitgriff wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 pm
srqsteve wrote:I'm pretty sure that this is legal: selling and shipping a long gun in the state of FL without using an FFL, but does anyone know "Chapter and verse" of FL code to back this up?
It’s legal to ship directly to another FLORIDA RESIDENT within your own state via USPS, otherwise you must ship to a FFL. I went through a lot of hassle once a couple of years ago with my local post office to prove how wrong they were.
FIFY
"Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one."
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Wizard78 wrote:
dammitgriff wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 pm
It’s legal to ship directly to another FLORIDA RESIDENT within your own state via USPS, otherwise you must ship to a FFL. I went through a lot of hassle once a couple of years ago with my local post office to prove how wrong they were.
FIFY
Thanks, but according to the ATF, it looks like it is legal in all 50. Unless that info I found is outdated, which is possible.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

dammitgriff wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks, but according to the ATF, it looks like it is legal in all 50. Unless that info I found is outdated, which is possible.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]
You can only transfer firearms between residents of the same state (without the assistance of an FFL):

"To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her State, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. There may be State laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s State of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he or she or she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]"
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

The USPS is a PITA and good at busting stuff.
Fedex has never asked me a question and I've never had a loss or damage. I opened an account, weigh my packages, print my own shipping labels and drop it at the nearest FedEx Office.
UPS also can be a PITA as the UPS Stores wont take firearms, their shipping center is too far away and I've had trouble with the counter clerks.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Thanks, Tenzing.
You’re right on, jjk...USPS and UPS seem to actively discourage shipping firearms, don’t they?