Best way to nix a timeshare membership?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
playswithstyrene

Best way to nix a timeshare membership?

Post by playswithstyrene »

My dad got talked into (i.e. verbally coerced) into getting a timeshare membership about 15 years ago. Now that he's hit 85 years of age and has not been able to use the timeshare thing for a year+ because of age related issues as well as the ChiComFlu lockdown, I have finally convinced him to get rid of it as I always considered it was scam but he consistently argued otherwise.

Anywho, any suggestions how can i get this done permanently? From helping him deal with that timeshare company shenanigans before, I'm pretty sure they will do their utmost to keep us from cancelling and will pull out all their dirty tricks.
I've heard on the radio of companies that will "help" you get ride of timeshare contracts, so does any one know of one they'd recommend? Don't want to go in blind if possible into this battle.

Thanks in advance folks. :)
Who farted?!?
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

redeagle

Post by redeagle »

A whole industry has popped up just to get people out of these agreements. This link and a few others are around to help out.

Be careful because some of these are scams too I recall reading once in the sun-sentinel. Do some homework first.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Not trying to sound morbid, but...should an 85 yr. old be too concerned about their credit? Does he have assets they could attach in case of a judgment? If he's a typical retiree and not well-off, tell the timeshare company to "Sue me! (him)"...

As I tell everyone: "The last check I write is going to bounce".

Here's an article from Forbes. I'm pretty sure they've done their homework: https://www.forbes.com/sites/christophe ... 4d6746a073

From the article: "Lisa Ann Schreier, a timeshare expert who publishes the site The Timeshare Crusader, says you're better off avoiding timeshare exit companies entirely.

"These companies prey on not only owners' fears but also their ignorance," she says. "99% of these companies are outright scams and end up doing more harm than good."
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:32 pm"These companies prey on not only owners' fears but also their ignorance," she says. "99% of these companies are outright scams and end up doing more harm than good."[/i]
I did the same with credit card debts when I got into some money. I paid everything and the CC never saw a penny. Impossible to get my money back the "normal way". I was so persuasive that he eventually paid me back from his own pocket.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Go to Tug II (timeshare owners group) and see if anyone actually wants the thing. If so, find out how much they want you to pay them (prepaid maintenance) to take it. If it's less than $5k, just do it and be done. If you can't find anyone, pay the maintenance and use it every year for the rest of the owner's lifetime. Be sure to have the 'asset' willed to someone who isn't you. Generally a large charity that you don't particularly care for (their lawyers will refuse the inherentance and it will go into limbo for years before it shakes out and will likely eventually be absorbed back by the ownership group) or will it back to the timeshare operator itself and they'll get to trick some other folks into buying.
playswithstyrene

Post by playswithstyrene »

Thanks for all the 411, folks. :) I'll start researching this beastie, see if it can be put down permanently.
Who farted?!?
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Good luck hope it all works out.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.