Florida man charged for having 1,552 devices to turn semiautos into machine guns

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

lakelandman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:02 am With ammo the way it is who would even want one. LOL
Yep. Instead of counting the rounds as I pull the trigger, I'm counting $$$! :(
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

From what I understand, Lightning Links are the least reliable way of getting an AR to shoot full auto. It's basically a cheap piece of sheet metal cut to a specific shape. The only reason registered ones are going for 20K+ is that if they're registered they're probably the least expensive way of legally converting an AR. For those that can afford it, a registered full-auto sear would be a better option but it's obviously even more expensive. I'd never heard of this guy or his card products, but I don't see how anyone thought this was a good idea. True, it seems like there might be some legal leeway if it's just etched onto a card, but the minute you punch it out of the card you've created an illegal unregistered lightning link. Even if you argue that the cards themselves aren't illegal (which may or may not be a legally defensible position), there is no way that the card could be used legally. Why the hell risk your freedom and ability to own firearms just to get something you can't possibly use legally?

I guess some people just enjoy poking the bear.
My posts kill threads.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:55 am
lakelandman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:02 am With ammo the way it is who would even want one. LOL
Yep. Instead of counting the rounds as I pull the trigger, I'm counting $$$! :(
LOL, yeah, these days it's like that scene in Lord of War where every time the AK fires you hear the cash register chime, except that instead of earning more money, we're spending more money. :lol:
My posts kill threads.
miamitj

Post by miamitj »

I haven't cared about full-auto for years... I'll take my semi auto AR over a full auto AR any day in a SHTF scenario.

That of course is unless I'm held up and an armory with a couple million rounds and a saw...
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

In my opinion, the guy was asking for it.
Yes, it is just a piece of stainless steel with some "stuff" laser etched on it.
BUT, he was selling them for $80 to $139 as per the top post on this thread.
Who would spend that much if they did not intend to have it, so the could make a Lightning Link at some time in the future.

Besides, as shown, it would not likely work as intended.
My son has a real, registered Lightning Link, and it is different than what is shown in the photos above.
Additionally, the Lightning Link only works with SP-1 configured lower receivers, bolt carriers and upper receivers.
Machine work is required to get a Lightning Link to function with 95% plus of the AR-15's out there.
The machine work runs from minor to major, depending on who made your AR-15 clone firearm.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Full auto is fun until the guys next to you ask you for a mag because he is already out of ammo.
tector

Post by tector »

Have no full auto, very likely will never have any full auto. However, I am trying to imagine the founders of this country saying a man could be jailed (by the federal government no less) for owning or selling a small strip of metal. The same would apply to growing a plant. Both concepts would be utterly ludicrous to them.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

tector wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:38 pm....trying to imagine the founders of this country saying a man could be jailed (by the federal government no less) for owning or selling a small strip of metal. The same would apply to growing a plant. Both concepts would be utterly ludicrous to them.
I'm not certain, but I think that one of the legal bases for prosecution of someone who owns an "unregistered machine gun" is the failure to pay a tax - on something that can't legally be registered for taxation.

The concept of waging war against their own Citizens to enforce the payment of a tax on a homemade product derived from homegrown grain apparently didn't seem so ludicrous to our Founding Fathers..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
tector

Post by tector »

flcracker wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:31 pm
tector wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:38 pm....trying to imagine the founders of this country saying a man could be jailed (by the federal government no less) for owning or selling a small strip of metal. The same would apply to growing a plant. Both concepts would be utterly ludicrous to them.
I'm not certain, but I think that one of the legal bases for prosecution of someone who owns an "unregistered machine gun" is the failure to pay a tax - on something that can't legally be registered for taxation.

The concept of waging war against their own Citizens to enforce the payment of a tax on a homemade product derived from homegrown grain apparently didn't seem so ludicrous to our Founding Fathers..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion
Not sure I follow your legal "reasoning."

No one ever said taxes were illegal per se (to the extent the Revolution itself involved a tax issue, it was about taxation without representation, not just the fact of taxation). Nor did the feds say whiskey was illegal. Nor was this about private consumption--your own article says the whiskey was a medium of exchange (essentially, barter). Further, per your link, the issue only got violent AFTER 500 people attacked the home of the taxation officer.

Other than that, yes, it was completely similar to today--good point, sir.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

here's all that barely legal stuff pulled into one place: https://www.preppersdiscount.com