Gun store in the Tyrone Sq Mall?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
osprey21

Gun store in the Tyrone Sq Mall?

Post by osprey21 »

Back in the late 70s early 80s there was a gun store in the Tyrone Sq. Mall that specialized in "assault weapons" before they were called assault weapons, LOL. Anyone recall it and what the name was?
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

Sure it wasn't "Shooters Shak" in the old Sunshine Mall ????

They were a huge stocking C3 Dealer ...... Guy named Dennis ran the place....
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

You know, I think that was it.
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

Nothing like being able to buy a Powder Springs M10 .45 at the Mall.....for 900.00, while the rest of the family was in Burdines....

Dennis....from Shooters Shak:
His wife....with their "counter gun":

And just for shits and giggles....from the same magazine...Charlie from University Gun posing with his FAL 35 years ago
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

:lol:

Yep, after seeing the pic of Dennis, that was definitely the place. Thanks!

Charlie has aged well. :D
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

On what planet is that an Uzi stock?
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

SteyrAUG wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:57 pm On what planet is that an Uzi stock?
Planet SWAT magazine....

circa 1987
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Villafuego wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:14 pm
Planet SWAT magazine....

circa 1987
That fits. Great picture of Charlie even with the finger on the trigger. Really nice guy even after decades of running a Pawn Shop / Firearm business and that is no easy trick. One of the few "always pleasant" folks at the gun shows and really knowledgeable when it came to NFA stuff. Would actually take the time to explain stuff to people rather than feed them the same old gun show nonsense even when it was obvious they weren't gonna buy a damn thing.

Never saw him try and scam anyone, never saw him try and take advantage of somebody who didn't know better and from time to time he'd have something on display that was really rare or really stunning. I think he had the first "in person" PSG1 I ever had in my hands. I think he was one of the first guys to also have a Barrett M82A1 on the table.
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

SteyrAUG wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:23 pm
Villafuego wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:14 pm
Planet SWAT magazine....

circa 1987
That fits. Great picture of Charlie even with the finger on the trigger. Really nice guy even after decades of running a Pawn Shop / Firearm business and that is no easy trick. One of the few "always pleasant" folks at the gun shows and really knowledgeable when it came to NFA stuff. Would actually take the time to explain stuff to people rather than feed them the same old gun show nonsense even when it was obvious they weren't gonna buy a damn thing.

Never saw him try and scam anyone, never saw him try and take advantage of somebody who didn't know better and from time to time he'd have something on display that was really rare or really stunning. I think he had the first "in person" PSG1 I ever had in my hands. I think he was one of the first guys to also have a Barrett M82A1 on the table.
Spot on assessment of Charlie...... has always been "one of the good guys"... now if he'd just give me an "old timer" discount on that Retro-reissue XM-177 he has in his shop :D
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Over the years, I have bought from Charlie a beautiful Hungarian AK, a Norinco UZI, [worked great] and a Daewoo [223/556] Rifle. I still have the Daewoo. Charlie was very pleasant to deal with. Funny, working with Ira whose now 81, he tells me about all the FFL’s in SE Florida. Many interesting stories from the good old days. GARY