Is this a roofing scam???

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
rug357

Is this a roofing scam???

Post by rug357 »

I've been getting e-mails from a company that does roof inspections.
They said they will come and do a complete roof inspection with a drone and provide report.
They say they can get new roof for houses from insurance company due to storm damage.
Like most things in life, anything that sound too good to be true usually are so I'm thinking this is some kind of scam?
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Droknows

Post by Droknows »

Not sure how they could provide a full report with out climbing into attic and looking at the wood underneath. I think every Inspection I have had done was not just exterior.
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

If your roof is in good shape and you consider committing insurance fraud a scam, it sure is. OTOH, if your roof is over 15 years old here in FL, it might be a good idea to have it checked. If found defective, the offer is legit.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Don't you wonder why insurance rates here in Florida are through the roof? No pun intended!

Between the friggin gooberment insurance interference, and these scam artists - every insurer wants to leave.

My MIL fell for one of these asswipes. Eventually, her insurance company paid, but then they raised her rates so much that she had to go to another carrier. Took like 5 years for them to run their scam. Lots of lawyers. My MIL was ready to pay to replace her own roof after some years as it was really, really ripe, but no, once you sign you cannot - the scammer locked you in to use his roofer. And then they did a shitty job.

Unless you have a metal roof, you probably have roof damage. Singles last about ten years. You go lay on your roof in the Florida Inferno and see how long you would last!
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Rchrd.miranda

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

Shortly after Wilma the Miami-Dade, Broward code changed to require three tab shingles with six nails. The good news is that most suppliers, e.g. Johns-Manville etc offered 25 year life expectancy. The bad news is that any roof shingle is weaker after about 15 years. Insurance companies consider older roofs as a possible weakness. Having said that, if you are not missing shingles, have no shingles that are curled up on the edge or missing the sandy grain there is no need to panic. I am by nature paranoid about people who volunteer to do a preventive exam. They are going to find a reason to offer replacement. If you have no leaks, no water marks in the drywall ceiling or other warning signs, hang on to your money. Start saving for the roof replacement you really should do somewhere around 20 years. The difference is that you get to choose estimates, materials, etc and get the best deal for yourself.
take care....Richard
rug357

Post by rug357 »

My barrel tile roof is 25 years old now and it's not in perfect condition. I recently had a small leak fixed by a reputable roofer who thinks it was caused by tile vibration caused by wind during one of the past hurricanes that loosen a nail...that lead to a small leak. I have couple other broken tiles that were glued back together using epoxy and/or liquid nail but none of them leak. The roofer said while my roof is old it doesn't need to be replaced yet.
The company that's been sending me e-mail seems to have contacted the entire neighborhood as my wife and I have seen several roofs being checked in last few weeks. As others have said I have to believe the whole thing is a scam which can't lead to anything good.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

If you can, wait until there's real damage (storm or hurricane) and file a legitimate claim. Those "restoration" companies are nothing but ambulance-chasers. Do you think your rates will go up (or you'll be dropped) if you file an "iffy" claim using one of these companies? You betcha...

Additionally, does the style of your home require a barrel roof? I installed a metal roof and my insurance company was thrilled. That, along with hurricane ties (and windows), my premium dropped from $2600+ to $900. Metal roofs are (reportedly) good for 50 yrs.

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Clyde621

Post by Clyde621 »

How much more is a metal roof. My Ins. Company just jacked my rates by over 100% since my roof is 15 years old.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I'm not sure how much a roofing company would charge, as I did the roof myself. I believe it may be comparable (or cheaper) than a conventional roof, as the labor is much less. This depends, of course, on the type of metal you choose. I just did the minimum to get the roof on/insured.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
photohause

Post by photohause »

Just an FYI - one may re-shingle over existing shingles, one time.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?