Simple carry gun for the elderly?

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
Wakko

Simple carry gun for the elderly?

Post by Wakko »

Mama Wakko has a CWP and wants something she can put in her purse on occasion, so I'm looking for suggestions on what may fit the bill. I'm thinking a .22WMR wheelgun would be perfect, perhaps a J frame, but would like to hear other thoughts. I don't think she'd be able to clear a malfunction under stress, and she won't practice with it if it's got bite, hence my conclusion.

Ideas?
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Revolver in 9mm as it won't have quite the snap of a 38. Or maybe that S&W shield ez, supposed to be really easy to rack.
tector

Post by tector »

“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
tector

Post by tector »

tector wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:18 pm J-frame with this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001573970
Or (hold on!) .38sp wadcutters.

And if she can carry a steel gun the felt recoil will be even less.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
tector

Post by tector »

By the way, there is cowboy action .38sp that can be used for practice. That shit is so light shooting it is ridiculous. Look at the muzzle energy on this load for example:

https://www.swfa.com/fiocchi-cowboy-act ... -ammo.html

At the moment the problem is getting ammo.
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Ruger LCR in .22, .22 WMR, 9MM OR .38 SPL.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Is there much velocity increase with 22 mag over high velocity 22lr? Many years ago I choreographed couple of 22lr and two types of 22 mag all 36 or 40gr through a 4 5/8” Ruger Single Six and despite the increase muzzle, flash, blast and sound I believe the difference was only about 100 FPS. With 2” barrel I bet the difference will be even less.
I would just go with 22lr and load it with CCI Velocitor...that’s what I keep in my 22lr J frame

BTW I also like the Testor idea of j frame loaded with wadcutter ammo. Factory wadcutter is loaded to about 725 FPS and has only slightly more recoil than 22 rimfire with less flash, blast and noise than 22 mag. Back in the 80s it was the load of choice among some professionals
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

I'll try to find a .22 LCR at the next fun show and compare it size wise to the .38. It's gotta have a good trigger on it, of course.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Here's a wacky idea!

Have her handle as many handguns as she can during these troubled times and find the one that fits her hand like she just squeezed a handful of mud and feels like she's pointing her finger.

If that turns out to be a Desert Eagle, well get her a bigger purse!

The idea that a woman has to be limited to an anemic little popgun just because she's a woman is absurd.

proper training will teach her how to handle the "bite"

proper training will have her clearing malfunctions without even thinking about it.
redeagle

Post by redeagle »

I agree with the .22 revolver. No complexity. Bad round, just pull trigger again. Light carry for purse.
I wouldn't want a .22 as my defensive carry, but if it was that or nothing I'd be happy with it.

Facing a gun that is going "bang" a lot of hoodlums wont stop to check what caliber you are shooting at them. If you are concerned about her stopping the 280lb, PCP-engraged psycho, then Ms. Wakko is hanging with the wrong crowd. :D