Mossberg 44 LSB failure to extract intermittent

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
jollystriker

Mossberg 44 LSB failure to extract intermittent

Post by jollystriker »

I have a Mossberg 44 LSB heavy barrel that extracts and ejects the first round but the second round fails to extract. Clean the bolt and extracted today and problem still exists. Tonight I cycled 10 rounds through the chamber without firing them and had no issues. Is the barrel to tight to allow the second round to extract or the casing expanding enough to make it stick? Thought the problem was the extractor but with unfired rounds it functions well. Just looking for any thoughts.
gforester

Post by gforester »

Factory or hand loaded ammo? If the cartridge case isn't trimmed to the correct length it can cause the case to stick after firing.
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Clean the chamber very well and check the extractor to make sure it is intact.
jollystriker

Post by jollystriker »

I should have stated this is a 22. Was thinking about a little bore paste might remove any snags if they exist.
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Before you polish the chamber take a good look at it, clean it, and then run a q-tip around it when it's dry to see if it's snags on anything
jollystriker

Post by jollystriker »

update, I tried cleaning and the q-tip trick, could feel no stags. Today I tried different 22 ammo. Bingo, the stuck shells continued with Remington bulk ammo. I tried CCI standard velocity and hd no problems. Any ideas would be appreciated.
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Pull the bolt and see how the extractor fits over the case rims. Those parts do wear out
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

I had extraction issues on a Rem700 that were caused by an overtight stock screw that screwed into the action.
Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

I've had problems with Remington bulk ammo in more than one gun.
jollystriker

Post by jollystriker »

thanks for all your responses, I believe it was primarily an ammo issue. Rifle shoots great with certain ammo.