Generator

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:00 pm
FSUnoles wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 pm
Yeah it’s a GE panel w GE circuits, my panels (inside and outside) look nothing like those pictured lmao :shock:
Forget the inside panel. Generator hooks up to outside panel. Post a pic of the panel (with door open) showing the measurement between the main breaker and the top of the other breakers.

milsurp

Post by milsurp »

That looks like a sub-panel for a pool. Do you have a pool?
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

milsurp wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:39 pm That looks like a sub-panel for a pool. Do you have a pool?
Nope, this was the panel outside opposite the inside box. There’s a part above it but it looks like it’s locked by FPL and is next to the meter.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

That's not technically a "Mains" panel.

Your electrician may have to get a little creative, or upgrade to something that'll work. Try to find an older electrician named "Butch" or "Sparky", not one with a Millennial name (e.g. Jared or Conner). The older guy has probably seen everything and will figure it out.

Edit: Not sure if to code, but...if the electrician installed the generator breaker opposite the service disconnect breaker, then joined the handles with pins, you'd be able to run only one breaker at a time, sooo...ask your electrician if that's legit.

Or something like this, but installed in reverse: https://www.garvinindustries.com/panel- ... cEQAvD_BwE

Re-edit: Forget about the pins...that might prevent the service disconnect from tripping when needed, but the above device (installed in reverse) would work with some tweaking.

GE does make some oddities in the lock-out department, though...you might get lucky with a little research.

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Here you go...

Have the electrician move the service disconnect to the bottom position, install your generator breaker opposite and presto:

mohshard

Post by mohshard »

It is a GE meter/main combo. If he had shown another 18 in up you would see the meter. You can see an FPL tamper tag if you look closely.

The main breaker actually takes up both sides of the bus under the metal deadfront. So a side by side interlock wouldn't work

I installed an interlock in one of these a few years back. I will check and see what the part number was.
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

Neighbor has an outside service panel with one breaker he had a generator plug installed no lockout, generator plug is hot when FPL power is on he must remember to turn breaker off before hooking up generator. I can't believe this meets local code. What would happen if he didn't turn the breaker off had the generator hooked up running and FPL power came back on?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Ger42 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:10 am Neighbor has an outside service panel with one breaker he had a generator plug installed no lockout, generator plug is hot when FPL power is on he must remember to turn breaker off before hooking up generator. I can't believe this meets local code.
It doesn't meet any code.

NEC 702.6 Transfer Equipment. Transfer equipment shall be suitable for the intended use and designed and installed so as to prevent the inadvertent interconnection of normal and alternate sources of supply in any operation of the transfer equipment.
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

mohshard wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:55 am It is a GE meter/main combo. If he had shown another 18 in up you would see the meter. You can see an FPL tamper tag if you look closely.
Ahh...it looks like a sub-panel someone had laying around their truck and "converted" to a main panel..