Recommendation for Trap and Sporting Clays

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
sfven2

Recommendation for Trap and Sporting Clays

Post by sfven2 »

So, looking for a recommendation for an over/under shotgun for trap ans sporting clays in 12ga. I would like to keep it under $500, the less expensive the better, as this is just me dipping my toes in the water first.

1. Recommended shotgun
2. Why that brand?
3. Pros vs cons

Please no brand bashing unless you have facts backing it up.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

I own one of these: Tristar Hunter EX https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/tristar- ... 12624.html
Very good gun. Never misfired or given me any problems. It’s a Turkish gun but I’ve owned it for 8 years. Wouldn’t hesitate for one minute to buy it again.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Most Turkish O/U are good quality for the money. I've never seen any Turkish shotgun not function correctly except a Stevens 555 which I think is made in Turkey.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
sfven2

Post by sfven2 »

How about the Yildiz brand at Academy.. My research on the company is that they have great upper end shotguns in EU, but there is a mixed bag of reviews on the lower end shotguns in the US. The Stoeger Condor was a possibility but the Yildiz SPZ/ME or HP both get better reviews than the Condor.

Any opinions?
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

sfven2 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:41 pm How about the Yildiz brand at Academy.. My research on the company is that they have great upper end shotguns in EU, but there is a mixed bag of reviews on the lower end shotguns in the US. The Stoeger Condor was a possibility but the Yildiz SPZ/ME or HP both get better reviews than the Condor.

Any opinions?
Yildiz makes a very good shotgun. Thumbs up on them.
sfven2

Post by sfven2 »

Well, I bought a Yildiz SPZ ME HP 12.
Going to see how it shoots next weekend
sfven2

Post by sfven2 »

Well, took it out to shoot some sporting clays. 184 shots between me and my son and we had a great time. He did begin to complain about the recoil about half way through.
The Yildiz is a light over/under with weight biased nose heavy, I think it is a sub 7lb gun. I stuffed about a pound of lead sinkers into the stock and put on a better recoil pad, so I will have to try it out again.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

Besides the recoil, how did you like how it shot? How did it feel in your shoulder?
1965mini

Post by 1965mini »

What loads were you shooting? Maybe try a slower load
sfven2

Post by sfven2 »

tcpip95 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:12 pm Besides the recoil, how did you like how it shot? How did it feel in your shoulder?
Sorry for the late response. I now have about 600 rounds through it. It is much softer shooting with the slip on recoil pad and a just shy of a pound of lead weights in the butt stock. With the weights it now has a neutral balance whereas before it was barrel heavy.
It shoulders nicely, the comb works for me and it has a right hand cast. The slip on recoil pad gave it about and extra 1/2 to 3/4 inch lop, which also works for me. It swings smoothly, better than my semi, and I like the trigger.
I just have to take some lapping compound and work the latch/release smoother. It is a bit stiff to get the action open, but I just have to take some lapping compound and work the latch/release smoother. I have since tried a Tri-Star, Condor, and Mossberg O/U and would say that the Tri-Star would be my other choice for a budget O/U...the Tri-Star would have actually been cheaper then the Yildiz.