Are You a Duke Energy Customer? WTF happened?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:25 pm
zeebaron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:36 pm What possibly may have happened is that your previous last few bills may have been "estimated", meaning because of Corona they never sent anyone out to read your meters. They did that to us for two water bills. Then they finally read your meter and you owe that much more money.
Nobody reads meters (electric or water) anymore, unless you're rural.
Our city still has analog dial water meters the guy comes by and reads every month by flipping open the cover:

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/c ... -pandemic/
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

In this neighborhood Progress Energy converted all the houses so they can be remote read. No more meter readers other than for city water. True enough the actual usage did go up from the prior month - this is the Florida Inferno Season of course.

I just thought there were no news articles of a rate increase hearing, like I have seen in the past. I thought perhaps they finally figure out how to rip off customers without hearings.

The other possibility was that the County, Town, or state increased their taxes too. Those greedy Jerk Off politician ba$tards are famous for that. My brother-in-law is in another county so that seems unlikely. Maybe the state though? After all, taxes add about 25% to my electric bill here in the hood.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Flame Red wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm In this neighborhood Progress Energy converted all the houses so they can be remote read. No more meter readers other than for city water. True enough the actual usage did go up from the prior month - this is the Florida Inferno Season of course.
People aren't typically home during the hottest parts of the day either, I think most people turn the thermostat up when you're out of the house for work...especially with all the new digital WiFi thermostats now. Now a lot of people are just home 24/7, that mid-day AC running at your normal temperature setting is what does it. Plus, people are cooking more. Even if you have a gas stove and not running up the electric bill, that adds a heat load to the house the AC has to remove.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

We had ac trouble last month so I had attributed the increased bill to ac working harder than before. We start watching closer....
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Flame Red wrote:In this neighborhood Progress Energy converted all the houses so they can be remote read. No more meter readers other than for city water. True enough the actual usage did go up from the prior month - this is the Florida Inferno Season of course.

I just thought there were no news articles of a rate increase hearing, like I have seen in the past. I thought perhaps they finally figure out how to rip off customers without hearings.

The other possibility was that the County, Town, or state increased their taxes too. Those greedy Jerk Off politician ba$tards are famous for that. My brother-in-law is in another county so that seems unlikely. Maybe the state though? After all, taxes add about 25% to my electric bill here in the hood.
We should expect to see some significant tax increases by the FL legislature to offset the lost tax revenue caused by the mandatory shutdown over C19. Property, fuel and utilities are about to reach nearly unaffordable levels.
Unconstitutional mandates...they do have their consequences.
R/Griff
itsme

Post by itsme »

I thought that we must have used a lot more AC with the heat wave, but our bill also went up close to $100 last month