Generator

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FSUnoles

Generator

Post by FSUnoles »

I bought the generator below to power most of the circuits in my house (less my central AC) last year.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-11-000- ... /307728024

What transfer switch kit do I need to safely handle the running load (8300 watt) and starting (11k watt):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reliance-ProTr ... it/4712881

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Control ... uage=en_US

It’ll be installed by a certified electrician. TIA
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

i'm thinking the certified electrician would be the best person to ask
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

What outside panel do you have? Inside panel. Where is the generator inlet going to be installed?

Those transfer switches suck. Look into interlock devices for whole house power.
Last edited by mohshard on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Moshard is right. A transfer switch on a small/portable generator is kind of a waste.

Get an interlock and you're GTG.

I did my own for $150.

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

I bought a 6500/5500 gen set and ran our place in Arcadia after Charlie for 12 days while we cleaned it up. I have since ran our house in Homestead with it since Wilma minus the major 220 circuits. Well over a thousand hours on it by just wiring in a dryer plug a foot from my panel into a 30 amp breaker. The cord from the gen set is a 12 foot #8/4 romex. Turn off main breaker to commercial power, plug in the cord to the gen set and the dryer plug and urn on the 30 amp breaker to gen set. Before I start up the generator turn off all the 220 breakers, the breaker to the freezer and crank it up. After the last things are taken out of the fridge, I turn it's breaker off and turn on the freezer then reverse this in the morning. In the 50 plus days I've used this method we haven't lost so much as a tub of ice cream or gallon of milk and not electrocuted anyone. I change the oil with 5/20 Mobil One full synthetice every 3 days and the filter every 6. I drain all the gas and run the carb dry to store then before the next hurricane season change the oil and filter. Another thing is get 50 gallons (5 days constant run time) of Rec90 and put Stabil in it when season starts. If we don't use it I run it in my Tahoe in October.
Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

I have a plug wired into my main panel lock out switch so my generator will not feed back to FLP lines.. Had a Honda 3000SI it only fed half my inside panel just got a 9,500 dual fuel, electrician installed a new plug last night. We tested it last night set all house breakers off hooked the generator set to outside panel turned generator on plugged it in set A/C breaker on A/C came on and ran then set all breakers on with the exception of Hot Water, Dryer and stoves all was fine. I have 35 gals gas and 6 propane tanks.
General Lee

Post by General Lee »

I run a 6500 running watt generator through a 50 amp exterior plug. I have it setup with a transfer switch that has the lock out feature so there is no chance of back feeding to the main house line. To open the transfer circuit I have to close the house main that feeds from the line side. Once I open the transfer switch and run my generator I load manage via my house panel. I have enclosed porch with a mini-split and built in fridge hence my need to run via the panel as I can't run extension cords to those items. If you want pictures hit me up via PM with your cell #.
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

Slartibartfast wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 pm i'm thinking the certified electrician would be the best person to ask
Thank your for the well thought out response :mrgreen:
mohshard wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:32 pm What outside panel do you have? Inside panel. Where is the generator inlet going to be installed?

Those transfer switches suck. Look into interlock devices foe whole house power.
I was told the opposite, don’t have enough knowledge in the matter, just don’t want to run 500 electrical cords throughout the house especially on hard wired or hard to reach appliances.
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Those transfer switches are typically designed for a 30 amp interface. So you'll be able to run your fridge a few lights and ceiling fans. If you ever buy a bigger generator, you have to upgrade the transfer switch.
If you get an interlock device, you're turning the whole house off from FPL power, and using the interface to power whatever you want in the house. If during the power outage you have the style shown, and you decide you need to have something else hooked up to the generator, you're stuck running cords and having it added after the fact.
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

mohshard wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 am Those transfer switches are typically designed for a 30 amp interface. So you'll be able to run your fridge a few lights and ceiling fans. If you ever buy a bigger generator, you have to upgrade the transfer switch.
If you get an interlock device, you're turning the whole house off from FPL power, and using the interface to power whatever you want in the house. If during the power outage you have the style shown, and you decide you need to have something else hooked up to the generator, you're stuck running cords and having it added after the fact.
It’s an 11k start 8300 run generator, so it’s plenty big to power way more than that.