FFL question

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
deathpriest

FFL question

Post by deathpriest »

I went to pick up an online purchase that I got email confirmation had arrived to local shop. The notification sent by the selling company. I've used this shop before and even sent some customers their way. I was asked the typical questions for the 4473. I stated that I did not want to provide my SS#, as every time during the last 20+ years filling these out. I provided my DL and CCW. I was told that without the SS, the delivery of my firearm would take a week, so I left but, it has been bothering me.

Has the process to receive a firearm changed? Is SS# now required? Does the background check in the current situation, takes that long?
μολὼν λαβέ
**Infidel**
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

I haven't provided my SSN on 4473's for over 20 years either. It's never caused me any delay. I've always walked out with the gun within minutes.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

It only really helps when the buyer of the gun is named John Smith. Since that’s a very common name, giving the FDLE your SS number can be the difference between an approval, & a conditional. Remember, if it takes them longer than a minute to clear you, they tell tell us “conditional”. But by having the SS number, they know it’s you, & you get the approval. Sometimes when the customer has a common name, but doesn’t want to write the SS number on the 4473, we have them write it on a piece of paper, but not on the 4473. So this way, they have no permanent record of the SS number on the 4473. Remember, all info given to the FDLE for the background check is purged within 72 hours. But to answer, the purchaser is not required to give the SS number, but it can make things easier. Especially when there’s a million guys in Miami named Jose Rodriguez. GARY
deathpriest

Post by deathpriest »

My issue is they bluntly refused to make the call on the spot and stated that no SS will cost me a week of wait. They did charged me on the spot.
μολὼν λαβέ
**Infidel**
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

deathpriest wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 am My issue is they bluntly refused to make the call on the spot and stated that no SS will cost me a week of wait. They did charged me on the spot.
That'd be the last business that FFL ever got from me - either my own purchases or referrals. No reason to hold your gun hostage for a week because of their silly internal policy that's not required by law. I'd post the shop's name, address and website here and then print out a copy of this thread and leave it with them when you finally pick up your gun, so they know what kind of statewide publicity stupid crap like that can get them.

Gary's suggestion of providing the SSN separately for the call-in, but not writing it on the 4473, is an example of thinking outside the box but within the law to accommodate your customer and accomplish the objective - completing the sale legally, getting a happy customer out the door with his gun and the money from the sale in the cash register. Unfortunately, some idiots never learn that and get too hung up on "I know what the law says, but my shop, my rules."
ABOC

Post by ABOC »

deathpriest wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:40 pmHas the process to receive a firearm changed? Is SS# now required? Does the background check in the current situation, takes that long?
There is no need to provide your SSN for the 4473, your DL is enough. The CCW allows you to skip the wait period... and that's it.
I picked up 4 guns last week, the check went through and I was out of there in minutes. I have never given my SSN for a 4473, ever.

Your FFL is making up rules either because he is a CYA style idiot or worse, he is taking his paper pushing duties a tad too seriously.
Either way, he is full of shit. You might want too find another FFL and let everyone know what shop it is so they can avoid it.
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens" - Arnaud Amaury 1209
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Time for a new FFL.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

The subversives, a.k.a. demos, want to add more to background checks, which will add more opportunities for shops to show how goooood they are.

I had my own experience with a local shop, shipping a pistol to a purchaser on Gunbroker. Said it was their policy to hold a gun being sold by an individual for 30 days before shipping. I went elsewhere, no problem. I suggest the same, though it's a kick in the head when it's a shop you've been dealing with for years.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
photohause

Post by photohause »

just make one up.....use DW's
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

ABOC wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:21 am I picked up 4 guns last week, the check went through and I was out of there in minutes. I have never given my SSN for a 4473, ever.
I’m not sure if you’re aware, but any time you purchase 2, or more handguns from a FFL at the same time, a letter is sent the next day to the ATF about the multiple purchase. Not sure if you knew this. GARY.