Solvent Traps... a wink wink nod nod silencers?!?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Solvent Traps... a wink wink nod nod silencers?!?

Post by armedpolak »

Ok maybe I'm super slow (I am Polish after-all :lol: ) and really late to the game, but how the heck are those solvent traps still flying under the radar and legal to purchase? Ok I guess the mandatory 10 years in the federal-be-bubbas-girlfriend-prison is a deterrent enough, but still...

What am I missing here?! Those are basically high end (the titanium / stainless steel ones at least) suppressors that are missing a hole in the end cap, no? Engrave that sucker with SN: ArmedPolak001, file Form 1, get it back, drill a hole. Bang! you just got yourself a silencer.

https://kmtactical.net/product-category ... -adapters/

https://www.quietbore.com/product-categ ... ent-traps/

https://solventtrapsdirect.com
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

They’re not legal. Some people got nailed last year for constructive possession of a silencer. New sellers keep popping up, and it takes a while to document and build a case. So, they sell for a while. Trouble is, when the seller gets caught, the records get subpoenaed, which gives ATF a list of people to visit. And, they don’t bring beer.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

REDinFL wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:38 pm They’re not legal. Some people got nailed last year for constructive possession of a silencer. New sellers keep popping up, and it takes a while to document and build a case. So, they sell for a while. Trouble is, when the seller gets caught, the records get subpoenaed, which gives ATF a list of people to visit. And, they don’t bring beer.
The people busted were a company using machines owned by the military/government and the owner was making illegal suppressors on the side for his friends. There’s a large 18,000+ Strong community on Facebook and forum dedicated to form 1 suppressors. There’s many different vendors that have been operational for 5+ years without hassle. Solvent traps are very much legal to own as long as you don’t drill any holes before you have an approved form 1. There has been tens of thousands of build been made from kits without problems. The people who run into issues are people that are making them unregistered on the side or pushing the limits of what an actual solvent trap and selling outright suppressors.

The community is getting so advanced in designs that almost all the major suppressor designs have be replicated by builders from tubeless suppressors to modular suppressors.

* I stand corrected it increased to 23,000+ in less than a year with dozens of cans made every day in the group

JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

Here’s my solvent trap Form 1 suppressor made from Titanium and steel parts. I was never arrested and never got any hassle when I later applied to build a destructive device.

[media] [/media]
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

They have my addresses from my approved form 1 Suppressors and anti tank launcher :lol: they know where to find me and nothing yet :lol:

REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

The main market niche for these, and they way they are sold is to avoid the paperwork. As with so many clever little items, such as the Glock switch, and the drop in auto sear for ARs, the verbiage about “complying with all laws” is for show. The clear intent is to sell you something which a slight amount of work becomes a silencer, in the case of the current subject, or the other devices I just mentioned. Without the form 1, they are illegal. Yes, you can make them legal with a form 1, but anyone looking at the ads knows what they’re really about.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Totally legal. You can buy it but not finish it till you get an approved form 1. Its about 30 days for approval.
Taco

Post by Taco »

REDinFL wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:38 pm They’re not legal. Some people got nailed last year for constructive possession of a silencer.
There is no such thing as constructive posession of a silencer (suppressor), sbr, sbs, aow, or anything else you can build yourself. Just got to pay your taxes for the papers before you start work.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

My only reason to consider something like this is that you could potentially purchase, fill out paperwork and have an approval in a month or two w/ a form 1. I wouldn't want to do it w/o having the kit in hand (which I don't have) but might be fun to try some day.

If you buy a regular suppressor through the form 4, isn't it like a 10 month wait or so?