PUBLIX sell kitchen knife, now it's a weapon

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Rchrd.miranda

PUBLIX sell kitchen knife, now it's a weapon

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

Just read the article about a family suing Publix because they sold a kitchen knife to a 17 year old who used it as a weapon. Let's see now. If we sue every sports store that ever sold a Louisville slugger that was used to hit someone are they also guilty of selling deadly weapons? I always thought the rational for putting a T-ball bat in the car rather than a billy club was that a bat is a bat and not a prohibited weapon. At this rate, Home Depot won't be able to sell a short length of galvanized pipe. The judge should dismiss this case as being without merit. But that is being logical and rational.
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Its against the law to sell or give a knife in Florida to anyone under 18 unless it is a common pocket knife without express permission from a present parent or guardian.

When you sell retail items your responsible for educating your employees as to the law. The publix employee broke the law(dumb law or not).
I imagine Publix is now educating its employees or pulling knives from the store, depending on how profitable their sales are on knives.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Every general retailer in Florida - Publix, WalMart, Target, Dollar General... - will need to review their policies and training.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 0.001.html
(13) “Weapon” means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/ind ... 90.17.html
790.17 Furnishing weapons to minors under 18 years of age or persons of unsound mind and furnishing firearms to minors under 18 years of age prohibited.—
(1) A person who sells, hires, barters, lends, transfers, or gives any minor under 18 years of age any dirk, electric weapon or device, or other weapon, other than an ordinary pocketknife, without permission of the minor’s parent or guardian, or sells, hires, barters, lends, transfers, or gives to any person of unsound mind an electric weapon or device or any dangerous weapon, other than an ordinary pocketknife, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
tector

Post by tector »

I read that Publix had this item miscoded so it did not prompt age verification.

They are paying. When you break a law like this, there is pretty much per se civil liability. At this point I think all that is in play is the amount.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Rchrd.miranda

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

Silly me, I should know better but I had just walked out of a Publix after buying a measuring bowl. Somehow the connection between knives on display in Publix and the realities of the law escaped me for a second. There is a sort of innocence in seeing frying pans, bowls and knives all together. But, yes, at this point the only real question is how many zero's on the check.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

And the stabber was a moslem being watched by the FBI for more than a year.
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

osprey21 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:00 am And the stabber was a moslem being watched by the FBI for more than a year.
True news. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yet, no-one is suing the FBI.... :?

https://cbs12.com/news/local/police-say ... ideologies
Police say alleged killer wanted to join ISIS, had terrorist ideologies

JUPITER, Fla. (CBS 12) — New startling details have surfaced about a Jupiter teen, charged with murder and attempted murder.

Not only is Corey Johnson accused in a murder and two brutal stabbings, but authorities are planning to charge him internationally for making social media threats to a school in England.

Before he allegedly committed the murder at BallenIsles in Palm Beach Gardens March 12, police and the FBI have had Corey Johnson under investigation for more than a year.

They say he studied the Quran and was fascinated with ISIS.

In a newly-released report, Jupiter Police spell out chilling details about alleged murderer Corey Johnson, 17, of Jupiter.

The report says Johnson, who recently attended Dwyer High, as early as December 2016 had ”terrorist ideologies and is a supporter of the terrorist organization ISIS.”

Police say Johnson has watched terrorist videos, including beheading videos, and he wants to join ISIS and has reached out to ISIS via the internet.

“We understand that he has been watching violent videos which may have some link to ISIS,” Palm Beach Gardens Interim Police Chief Clint Shannon.

Family members told police Johnson idolizes extremists, Fascists, Hitler and is a white supremacist. Police say his profile picture on Facebook was once a Nazi swastika.

Authorities say he has a history dating back to the 7th and 8th grades of making anti-Semitic and anti-homosexual remarks.

“I mean it’s crazy to think that someone from our school would do it, someone so close to our everyday life,” said Dylan Allen, a Dwyer High School student.

“I just don’t even know what to say. It’s just so devastating,” said Leigh Spack, a Dwyer High School parent.

“I think it’s very scary. I think it’s very scary,” said Wendee Kohronas, a Dwyer High School parent.

The FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force has been monitoring Johnson’s activities since at least January 2017.

A police report reveals that Johnson made threats via Instagram to McAuley Catholic High School in England and the threats were deemed “so severe in nature that up to 100 students were removed from the school fearing some kind of attack.”

The threats were tracked to his home on a quiet, residential street in Jupiter and in March 2017 FBI agents advised him to cease all social media activities related to ISIS and to have no further contact with the school in England or its students.

But during the summer of 2017, police say Johnson was making more online posts and the FBI was working to bring official charges against him.

According to the report from Jupiter Police, there’s still an active case against Johnson, and federal charges are anticipated in a few weeks for the social media threats to the school in England.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Due process of the 5th I guess will be used as an excuse.

Unfortunately when federal law enforcement becomes a political body to attack a president for nonsense rather than doing their fing jobs to protect the citizens who pay their fing salaries, things like this occur.

Cruz was also known to law enforcement and you see how that worked out.

Welcome to dog and pony theater.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

This is what happens when you don't beat your kid's azz...

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -