Car cigarette lighter in a "new" car

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Car cigarette lighter in a "new" car

Post by armedpolak »

Yes I smoke. Yes I sometimes even smoke in my new (to me) 2016 Lexus LS 460 :oops: I purchased a car cigarette lighter on amazon that looks like a cool "fire missiles" red button, but it will not stay down nor does it get hot when I hold it down.

I can't tell if the lighter is junk (it was only $15) or if the new(er) cars give how we live in the woke age refuse to support smoking LOL

is there anyone with a new(er) Lexus and a working cigarette lighter who can confirm it works?

thanks guys!

P.S. coming from a Corolla and into an LS, it's crazy how your perception of speed is so muted in a luxury car... I found myself doing 70+MPH on Cypress heading east to work from Coral Springs. I could have sworn I was not going over the posted 45MPH speed limit :shock:
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

The contact points in a 12v socket setup are different.

The 12v socket grounds on the side, and If I recall correctly, a cigarette lighter socket had an additional tab inside to make ground contact.

You would have to replace the whole socket which would be a real beotch.

There used to be universal lighter kits that had an L shaped bracket to mount them wherever you wanted.

That might be a good option.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

TC6969 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:41 pm There used to be universal lighter kits that had an L shaped bracket to mount them wherever you wanted.

That might be a good option.
I put one in my Crown Vic because the State Police had destroyed the original when they installed their equipment. I think I got it at one of the chain auto parts stores. Best lighter plug socket I've ever used, not only was it sturdy as hell but it fit everything I plugged in it perfectly. Might have been this:

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/Philmore-Cigarette-Lighter-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B00K0TQ94C
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Thats the one I was thinking about!

I installed a hundred of those things in the 60's and the 70's when the OEM went out and it was too much trouble to replace it.

Just screw it to some metal, find a hot wire to tap into and you're smoking!
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

Yeah it sounds like what you have is what's called a PowerPoint. Just use for car chargers for your phone and stuff like that.
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

I miss smoking. :(
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Remember, these new power jacks are made to run a GPS, cell phone, etc, which may require a few amps, while that liter may need 10+ amps. Make sure the wiring, & fuse are able to supply that. GARY
photohause

Post by photohause »

Lighter!?!?! I'm still trying to find the CD player on my 2018 CRV!
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

I haven't seen a cigarette lighter in a car for over a decade. I miss the factory ashtray for when I smoked stogie while driving on Krome Ave.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

Miami_JBT wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:01 pm I haven't seen a cigarette lighter in a car for over a decade. I miss the factory ashtray for when I smoked stogie while driving on Krome Ave.
Wow. The factory ash tray.

Hadn't thought about one of those for a LONG time now.

Used to be pretty handy for a lot of things, especially if you didn't smoke!

AD