Is a stripped AR lower a gun?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
N4KVE

Is a stripped AR lower a gun?

Post by N4KVE »

Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

As long as I cant have one shipped to my door, and am required to fill out a 4473 it, might as well be.

If the lower isn't, then some other part is.....
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

Wow. Very interesting. I have never looked into the law before.
Dr. Dickie

Post by Dr. Dickie »

Under the US Code of Federal Regulations, a firearm frame or receiver is defined as: “That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.” (emphasis added)
It does provided housing for hammer and firing mechanism--just not bolt. I seriously doubt this will end up getting any traction. The courts will excuse it as being close enough.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Dr. Dickie wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:03 pm
Under the US Code of Federal Regulations, a firearm frame or receiver is defined as: “That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.” (emphasis added)
It does provided housing for hammer and firing mechanism--just not bolt. I seriously doubt this will end up getting any traction. The courts will excuse it as being close enough.
Or they'll just re-write/clarify the law...
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

Simple answer: Yes

More complex answer: Yes, it is.

Somewhat bizarre answer: In Pennsylvania, according to their attorney general, unfinished (80%) lowers are too. Until the Federal courts knock that back as well.

Jeff
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

I was told by a guy at BATFE one day that the part with the serial number was it.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

I've always felt like the upper made more sense as the firearm. But this kind of confusion is why these laws are a bad idea.

At this point what can they do? Make the upper the part with the SN? Then what about the millions of other guns with the SN on the lower?
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

FAL
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

The lower receiver is not only considered a firearm. In South Carolina it's considered a pistol. At least that's what they told me at the Palmetto State Armory in Columbia when I stopped there to buy one on my way to my cabin in NC.