Tell me about Dunnellon

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wulfmann

Tell me about Dunnellon

Post by Wulfmann »

Someone mentioned they are considering moving to Dunnellon because real estate is cheap and they want to live on a few acres

Seems like a depressed area.

How is the crime rate, the racial make up, the economy?

What do you know that I can pass on?
Paddledan

Post by Paddledan »

Only place I have bought property in fl and lost money on, three different parcels 30 years ago and the town still looks the same.
tector

Post by tector »

I have a friend who has a place deep in the woods north of there. Way too rural for me, but that of course is a matter of personal preference. The land he bought is prone to some flooding, but he's on a river. I think the town itself is high and dry, however.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I was curious, and was wondering why lot prices were so low. And then I saw the deed restrictions, lol:

https://www.citrussprings.org/deed-restrictions/
BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE »

The link says these are the deed restrictions. There may be more not on that list. You also need to look for HOA regulations Home Owner Regulations, CC&R Codes, Covenant's and Restrictions , City or County amendments to the Florida Building Code. If you are going to buy property you don't want any of these. No ones going to tell you about these because they want to sell the property. I don't think they are obligated to inform you of them unless you ask. Then they have to let you read them. I would say from Martin County south most property has some kind of rules.That does not mean there are not property without these regulations. You just have to find them before you give any money or sign any documents. As far as flooding goes you will need to build you structure to the Minimum Base Flood Elevation. Or NGVD "National Geodetic Vertical Datum" just a fancy name for MBFE. Zoning also plays a part in this also. You might buy 20 acers but there is a zoning regulation that says you can't build a barn on it. There are properties that you can divide the property. Build your house on 5 acers 10 you lease to a farmer for cattle, and also build a barn on 5. The people that enforce these regulations usually don't now crap about how to enforce them. Everywhere is different so you have to know what you're buying before you do.
Good luck.
BIG JOE
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

why post a bunch of nonsense if you don't live near, or have a clue :roll:

most of Citrus Spgs is an abandoned master planned community, look ar in on google maps satalite view, the roads are in place but a lot of it is not built, especially east of US 41, and a shit ton of it west of 41, in the NW part of the county, sure they have those BS deed restrictions, probably East of 41, but lots of people shoot and have horses etc, I don't really know who enforces all that but don't believe everything you read....Dunnellon is right on the border of Marion and Citrus counties, the property taxes are a lot higher in Marion, thats why smart ranchers have horses in Citrus....I would avoid Marion County just because of the taxes, you get more in Citrus, unless you wanna be right on the river and thats not all its cracked up with the tourist and trashy locals

the immediate area is low crime ( sure we have meth and petty theft ), but lots of pale faces, not much here , have to drive into Ocala for big box stores but small, no traffic and quiet
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

zeebaron wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm I was curious, and was wondering why lot prices were so low. And then I saw the deed restrictions, lol:

seems reasonable enough
Why are these restrictions put in place? What purpose are they intended to serve? Quite simply, to protect and enhance your property value; to assure to you the quiet enjoyment of your home; to enhance the quality of life throughout the community; and to prevent the accumulation of trash, junk, noxious or poisonous substances, or conditions which could be dangerous, attract vermin, adversely effect your health and the environment generally.
you wanna live in our neighborhood you can't do this shit, go live in the sticks, and do whatever you want

I wouldn't wanna live next to a kennel, chicken farm or guy storing junk car parts either, their community their rules

only 1/3 of Citrus is buildable, being the other 2/3 is either wetlands or WMA, Citrus Springs is just a little part of the area
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

and watch out for the new toll road being there somewhere.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

rentprop1 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:21 am
zeebaron wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm I was curious, and was wondering why lot prices were so low. And then I saw the deed restrictions, lol:

seems reasonable enough
It would be reasonable for a developer built community. But trying to sell unbuilt lots with those building specifications and other rules in the covenants is obviously scaring people away, with plenty of near half acre lots listed at $3k (and valued at under $2k according to the tax collector).
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

zeebaron wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 am
It would be reasonable for a developer built community. But trying to sell unbuilt lots with those building specifications and other rules in the covenants is obviously scaring people away, with plenty of near half acre lots listed at $3k (and valued at under $2k according to the tax collector).
right , so if you have a $ 300 K home on 5 acres, you don't want a guy buying a 1/2 acre lot next to you and storing old car parts on it, or a moble home with a pit bull breeding kennel....one man used to own all of that, its been bought and re sold over the years, those deed restrictions were put in place 25 yrs ago so the surrounding properties don't go to shit....there are plenty of other places with no restrictions, they are simply saying take your trashy lifestyle and go there ( no you ) but whoever.

my old community use to be larger homes on acreage, everyone had horses, over the years they dropped those restrictions and now its all rednecks racing quads up and down the streets and lifted 4x4 trucks tearing everything up, kennels, chickens ( and Fucking roosters :oops: ), and junk in peoples yards :roll:

rules are meant to keep it nice