Why is a FL GOP Congressman pushing PR statehood?

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
tector

Post by tector »

As the originator of this thread, let me be blunt: I don't want any more sure-to-be liberal House members and electoral college voters and, worst of all, Senators. Beyond that I don't give AF. So on that basis alone I don't want PR as a state. As it is I would love to cut loose some states we already have.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

P5 Guy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:22 am So, why did the USA grant freedom to Cuba but not PuertoRico?
Because Sen. Henry M. Teller did not want Cuba as a US Territory. It would compete with his sugar interests in Hawaii (annexed as a US Territory) and his Sugar Beet holdings in Colorado, which were a major economic industry at the time. If Cuba was annexed, its sugar industry wouldn't be subjected to a tariff and it would be a threat to his wealth.

Sen. Teller lushed to have the Teller Amendment passed restricting US annexation of Cuba when the war started and later pushed for the Platt Amendment which cemented that the US was not to annex Cuba. Puerto Rico was seen as a minor player in the world sugar market and Teller didn't view it as a threat to his holdings.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

P5 Guy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:22 am So, why did the USA grant freedom to Cuba but not PuertoRico?
Because Sen. Henry M. Teller did not want Cuba as a US Territory. It would compete with his sugar interests in Hawaii (annexed as a US Territory) and his Sugar Beet holdings in Colorado, which were a major economic industry at the time. If Cuba was annexed, its sugar industry wouldn't be subjected to a tariff and it would be a threat to his wealth.

Sen. Teller lushed to have the Teller Amendment passed restricting US annexation of Cuba when the war started and later pushed for the Platt Amendment which cemented that the US was not to annex Cuba. Puerto Rico was seen as a minor player in the world sugar market and Teller didn't view it as a threat to his holdings.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
TactMedic

Post by TactMedic »

tector wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:20 am As the originator of this thread, let me be blunt: I don't want any more sure-to-be liberal House members and electoral college voters and, worst of all, Senators. Beyond that I don't give AF. So on that basis alone I don't want PR as a state. As it is I would love to cut loose some states we already have.
What makes you think they would be liberal? The pro-statehood bunch are conservatives and support DJT and the Republican party.
TactMedic

Post by TactMedic »

Miami_JBT wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:39 am

As it was the sugar industry in PR was still heavily regulated and Teller made sure it would not compete with him. Capitalism and Racism and the general view of PR as a banana republic which sadly many people still have, despite the sacrifices and contributions US citizens of PR decent have made for our nation.