Thinking about volunteering

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Firemedic2000

Thinking about volunteering

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Since I'm retired from Fire Rescue Now. Did I mention how totally bored I am and how much I miss my job. :cry: I loved helping people. It was more than just a job to me. I did not even consider it work.

I had good days and some really sad days that I will never forget. Sometimes I wonder if there was more I could have done.

When ever I lost someone and no one was around. I always said a prayer for them that they'd find peace and were ok where ever they were.

I never told anyone this at work. Firefighters can be a strange bunch sometimes. We all have our own way of keeping the things we experience from effecting us physiologically. Trust me it can be EXTREMELY hard at times.

I remember them all.

I remember transporting quite a few patients to and from hospice units. I'd see quite a few patients believe it or not that did not have family or family that did not care enough to come and visit them.

I could sense their sadness and loneliness. You could see it in their face and eyes especially.

I've been thinking for along time about volunteering at a hospice facility in SUN CITY CENTER. To just go and sit with patients and maybe talk, read to them and just let them know that they are not alone and there are people that do care about them. You do not even have to talk. Just sitting with them

Just having someone to listen to them express their thoughts, feeling and maybe even discuss their beliefs I feel would help them greatly.

One thing I learned as a Firefighter Paramedic is my own mortality. It's strange in a way. I never thought about death as an ARMY RANGER. I really didn't care.

I feel I made a difference as a Firemedic in some small way. I believe I might be able to maybe make a difference or hope I could for some in the final days of some peoples life.

One of the greatest gifts a person can have is the ability to listen to what others have to say and not give an OPINION by injecting their life into their story. But just listening.

I don't know.....I thinking seriously of doing this and have been for some time.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Do it ! Sounds like it'd be good for you and I can imagine how the older folks with nobody to talk with feel. Thats why I make sure,come hell or high water,I call my Mom every Sunday at 8:00,still talk during the week sometimes,she's 88.Also,I'm am the only Hell my momma ever raised.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
TACC

Post by TACC »

My dad is 82, and I call him every night at 830pm.

I think it would be great for them and for you.

Having someone to listen to there stories and some to liven up their usually drab days.

Keep us posted on your success.

The other thing I was going to suggest since you were in the service was to volunteer at the VA hospital or clinic, they always are looking for people.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

XenShooter

Post by XenShooter »

You're a good man Firemedic. Much respect to you.

As TACC said, keep us posted. I'm sure you're going to be hearing some amazing stories.
~ Teufel Hunden
Taco

Post by Taco »

Last edited by Taco on Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joecruiser

Post by Joecruiser »

You're a good man...with a great heart...so follow it....
I was comforted by a retired Chicago police officer while my brother was passing in hospice care.
I don't recall his name but he made the hours there hurt less.
Hospice volunteers are God's Angels on Earth.
aka: Dolfan
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Go for it, man. Gets you out of the house, you're helping people which you seem to really enjoy, and it's good karma. No downsides.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."