Gas stabilizer needed...when?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector

Gas stabilizer needed...when?

Post by tector »

So I filled up six 5-gallons today, just in case. I am pretty convinced I won't need them for this storm but, like carry guns "better to have and not need than need and not have." Assuming I don't use them with this storm, I'll just burn them through our cars. The question is when--starting this week, or after the heart of hurricane season is over (about two months from now). I always thought you didn't need stabilizer unless you were going for many months of storage, like a year, but my friend says add it even though I am looking at holding the gas 2 and half months, max. I have some stabilizer (unopened), but it is like 2 years old itself (from the days of Irma).

Give me your collective genius, FSN.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Nowhere Mon

Post by Nowhere Mon »

For the last 10 years I have purchased 30 gallons of gasoline in June and kept it in sealed gas cans until the hurricane season is done. I then use this gas in my cars until it is gone. I have never added a stabilizer to it and have never had issues with the gas.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Imho, 2.5 months is nothing to worry about. The additives are needed to combat the ethanol in the gas that will be gumming up the carburetor in small engines, the car won't have a problem.

My personal choice is to purchase non ethanol gas and never worry about it, no additives needed, and just dump straight into your car as usual.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Yep, the issue is the 10% ethanol found is most gasoline today.
If the storage cans are really airtight, a few months storage will not be a problem.
Problems arise when the storage can breaths, lets out vapor as it heats up, and brings in vapor as it cools.
Water vapor condenses in the storage can, and is absorbed by the ethanol.
Then that water/ethanol mix hits the carburetor, it can cause gumming, that will clog up passages and the jets.

To be on the safe side, I always add stabilizer to my storage cans.
Buy a quart bottle of the stabiliser, it will last for many years.
I can never be sure my son will tighten up the storage can cap when he fills the lawnmower, so why take chances.
tector

Post by tector »

Gregg wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:40 am Yep, the issue is the 10% ethanol found is most gasoline today.
If the storage cans are really airtight, a few months storage will not be a problem.
Problems arise when the storage can breaths, lets out vapor as it heats up, and brings in vapor as it cools.
Water vapor condenses in the storage can, and is absorbed by the ethanol.
Then that water/ethanol mix hits the carburetor, it can cause gumming, that will clog up passages and the jets.

To be on the safe side, I always add stabilizer to my storage cans.
Buy a quart bottle of the stabiliser, it will last for many years.
I can never be sure my son will tighten up the storage can cap when he fills the lawnmower, so why take chances.
I got EZ Pour aftermarket caps, none of that Kommiefornia stuff, so they are seal, and in climate controlled conditions, so it sounds like it will be good for a couple of months no problem.

Thank you so much, guys.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

tector wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:06 pm I have some stabilizer (unopened), but it is like 2 years old itself (from the days of Irma).

Give me your collective genius, FSN.
I think stabil has an expitation date or a use by on it , read the back
joker223

Post by joker223 »

I believe Stabil says the shelf life is 2 years after opening. Come to think of it, mine is coming up on 2 years...
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

As others are saying, buy non-ethanol gas for your Generators, lawn mowers, etc.!
Wawa has it and so do some Mobils.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Some good advice in this thread. One of the problems with the new gas is that it also seperates over time. This isn't a problem in a gas can, because if you pour it into your car, it will slosh together anyway. The problem is when it sits in the fuel tank of your motorcycle/generator/etc and seperates. The ethanol goes into the engine and can damage it since it's no longer mixed with the straight gasoline. I always use recreational fuel in my toys/yard equipment even though is usually doesn't sit long enough to matter. I filled up my gas cans just in case, even though my generator runs on propane. I'll let it sit until December and then dump it in my truck. I had last year's gas up until a few months ago, dumped it in another vehicle and it was fine.