(Update, one year later, page 2) Had a self-defense situation the other night (non-human, no shot fired)

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco

(Update, one year later, page 2) Had a self-defense situation the other night (non-human, no shot fired)

Post by Taco »

I had an incident the other night... There were two dogs attacking my donkeys- I was alerted by a neighbor. I went out to the field, one dog took off, one came at me from behind, full run and barking. I drew, got sights on target, moved finger to the trigger and the dog veered off. The owner of the dog arrived soon after looking for her dog. She was able to call the dog and leave with it holding it back by the collar. "Don't worry, it barks sometimes but he's friendly".

Everything was reaction, and the decision to fire was already made- then aborted. I was shaking for a while after. I've been thinking about it a lot since then. Knowing I was in the right, and I took almost all correct actions (Monday morning, I should have 'checked my 6' better), I still feel bad...

I don't know exactly what I'm hoping for in a response, but I thought sharing may help.

**Edit: I bumped this year old thread with an update of the events of yesterday. See page #2.
Last edited by Taco on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

All went well. You know that is true. No shots, no dead pet, and no police intervention.
Tunnel vision is tough to combat.
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

You did everything right here. Outsiders harassing livestock should be dealt with appropriately.
photohause

Post by photohause »

You did fine.
My opinion with dogs, if you decide, you have to do it with enough time for two rounds... it's like they are on PCP.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

I'd have told her the dog wasn't being friendly to my donkey and provided her with any and all veterinary bills. I'd also make sure she knew her dogs was seconds from being expired and if she wants it to live a full life she needs to keep it on her property.
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

SteyrAUG wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:51 pm I'd have told her the dog wasn't being friendly to my donkey and provided her with any and all veterinary bills. I'd also make sure she knew her dogs was seconds from being expired and if she wants it to live a full life she needs to keep it on her property.
This, then sss!
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

The real important thing is did the dog actually injure any of the donkeys?

If YES, then you need to call the police and file a police report. If NO, you still need to have a discussion with the dog owner explaining the consequences of the dog trespassing on your property in any future incident.

I always hate to punish a dog for the inability of the owner to keep their dog on their property but if given no other choice you have to protect your property if no other option exists. Dumb shit dog owners really don't learn anything unless you have the police explain it to them.

There is zero reason for you to deal with a neighbors dog on your property and you shouldn't be forced to shoot their dog to protect your property either. It's a shame you can't shoot the person most responsible for the dog being on your property.
Taco

Post by Taco »

SteyrAUG wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:01 am The real important thing is did the dog actually injure any of the donkeys?
That night I couldn't safely get anywhere near them- but I didn't see anything life-threatening. Next morning there was no serious injuries seen, and nothing I could definitely say came from the dogs rather than the typical scratches and cuts associated with everyday donkey life. Donkeys are herd protectors, and dog sized predator vs donkey is generally a cat v. mouse situation. Then again my donkeys are wimpy and non-working donkeys and spend a lot of time are around my dogs without incident, and I've watched enough National Geographic to see wolf packs take down full size moose...

Night of, I did let the owner know the state of the situation, and she did seem concerned with the status of the donkeys.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Taco wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:10 am
SteyrAUG wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:01 am The real important thing is did the dog actually injure any of the donkeys?
That night I couldn't safely get anywhere near them- but I didn't see anything life-threatening. Next morning there was no serious injuries seen, and nothing I could definitely say came from the dogs rather than the typical scratches and cuts associated with everyday donkey life. Donkeys are herd protectors, and dog sized predator vs donkey is generally a cat v. mouse situation. Then again my donkeys are wimpy and non-working donkeys and spend a lot of time are around my dogs without incident, and I've watched enough National Geographic to see wolf packs take down full size moose...

Night of, I did let the owner know the state of the situation, and she did seem concerned with the status of the donkeys.
Glad there was nothing serious. Btw, you sound like a nicer person than I would have been about it.
dieselbeef

Post by dieselbeef »

in fl any animal attacking livestock is fair game..i shot my neighbors dog in front of him and the sheriff...officer told him he would've if I hadn't...you are within full legal right to do so....but..i had history with this dog already..i shoot any dog on my property on sight...shoot shovel shutup..practice the 3s'