Any "Soda Stream" enthusiasts out there?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO

Any "Soda Stream" enthusiasts out there?

Post by FfNJGTFO »

I'm starting this thread here as, believe it or not, I saw a similar thread started in (of all places, the "GlockTalk" forum) :shock: :o :mrgreen:

Recently, I've gotten into using a Sodastream for making my own Soda pop/seltzer. I had an old Xmas Gift card for Bed, Bath & Beyond and thought I should use it for something worthwhile. Having done it, I can say with confidence that it was an excellent call. I love the thing. I can make my own seltzer at my own level of carbination and flavor with my own syrups if I want to make traditional soda. I'm a Diet Dr. Pepper fan, and you can actually get a 1gal. and/or 5 gal, box of syrup of it on Amazon. I haven't done that yet as the shipping costs outweigh just going to the local Wally and buying the bottles of syrup (the Sodatstream version is called "Diet Dr. Pete" and it's even better as it's made with Sucralose and not Aspartame). A bottle of Diet Dr. Pete costs $4.88 (on "rollback" at present) and is advertised as making "up to 9 liters..." Maybe I use too much per batch because the best I can do is about 6L of soda per bottle of syrup. But I digress.

The biggest expense hurdle (if you're looking to use it to save money) is in replacing/refilling the CO2 tanks. A brand new 60L tank from Sodastream is around $30.00 at Wally. Meaning, it should be able to carbonate about 60L of water per tank. I only get about 40L, but that's OK. Again, I probably over-carbonate. You can exchange an empty tank for a filled one for about $15.00. However, there are a great many different ways of getting the tanks refilled, or using alternate methods for carbonating. There are a bunch of different tank adapters that let you hook up a commercial grade CO2 tank (anywhere from 5lb to 20+lb) with a CGA320 valve to the Sodastream unit. You have to make sure that you keep the main tank valve "off" when not in use and clear the adapter line as well. I'm leaning toward this strategy eventually, but I have to ensure that it works without having to regulate the pressure and/or causing damage to the Sodastream unit, and ensuring there's an easy source of refilling the CO2 tank (either a beer craft store or a local Airgas location that I can go to for a fill). Hopefully, if I get a 20lb tank, I won't have to do that so often. Some people go to paint ball shops and use paint ball tanks, etc., but there are concerns about "food grade" CO2. We'll see how that goes.

Until then, what I have tried to use is the "really cheap" way to fill the existing 60CL CO2 tanks... the "Dry Ice" method. The Publix in my neighborhood sells food grade dry ice for $1.68/lb. The basic procedure is to take an empty 60CL tank (and be sure it's empty), unscrew the valve (and the 1st time it may require some effort as they're screwed on tightly), and, using a kitchen scale, fill the tank with solid dry ice chunks/flakes up to the correct weight (~410grams of dry ice). Replace the valve and tighten (and be sure the burst valve is also tightened), and once the tank warms up you'll have a pressurized CO2 tank, per Soda Stream standards. This method works and is cheapest, but it takes a lot of time, and you have to move fast, once you get the Dry Ice chunks from your supplier. In particular, you have to have a good method of crushing the Dry Ice blocks into smaller chunks and/or a powder, and getting them into the tank before it sublimes. The tank says it takes 14.5oz of CO2 (roughly that ~410 grams you weigh out). So you really should by a little more than 1lb of dry ice for one 60CL tank as you'll lose a bit of it trying to get it into the tank. This has been the biggest challenge for me. Figuring out an efficient way of crushing the dry ice blocks into small chunks or a powder and getting down the funnel into the tank. A good thing to do is take a chopstick and be able to shove the dry ice down into the tank from the funnel as it will freeze inside the funnel spout. I've seen some suggestions on how to use a std. blender to get the dry ice blocks into small enough crystals or powder to shove down the funnel. But I have yet to test that theory. I just hope it doesn't freeze up the blender. Anyway, here's a Youtube video on how to do the dry ice method:

[youtube]l-a3pISQLQg[/youtube]

So, has anyone here gotten in to this "Sodastream" thing and what are your experiences with it, if any? If you use the "dry ice" method, what tips & tricks have you developed to be more efficient with the dry ice so that you don't lose a lot of it while trying to fill the tank? Hopefully, I'll be doing the 20lb tank with adapter, soon, but until then...

Discuss... Thanks!
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I’m a total Cokaholic. I do not eat at restaurants that serve Pepsi instead of Coke. I want to be able to taste what their “cola” tastes like before I buy their system. So I’m still waiting for a way to sample their product like I can taste many different foods at BJ’s. By the way, the BEST Cokes are in the 12 oz glass bottles from Mexico, & other Central American countries, where they use real sugar instead of corn syrup. GARY.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

N4KVE wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:54 am I’m a total Cokaholic. I do not eat at restaurants that serve Pepsi instead of Coke. I want to be able to taste what their “cola” tastes like before I buy their system. So I’m still waiting for a way to sample their product like I can taste many different foods at BJ’s. By the way, the BEST Cokes are in the 12 oz glass bottles from Mexico, & other Central American countries, where they use real sugar instead of corn syrup. GARY.
Well, Amazon does sell 2.5gallon boxes of Coke and Coke Zero syrup for around $75-80.00. So you can do the "Real thing...." :mrgreen:
Last edited by FfNJGTFO on Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Didn’t know that, thanks. But does that syrup contain sugar, or corn syrup? Real Cokeholics like me can taste the difference. GARY.
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

Total seltzer junkie here. Used to have the original bottles delivered to my door. Then it was buying cases and cases of Costco seltzer and lugging them home.
Soda stream is GREAT. I just use plain water, but can add more carbonation and toss out old seltzer at near zero cost.
If they ever went out of business, I would cry.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

N4KVE wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:17 am Didn’t know that, thanks. But does that syrup contain sugar, or corn syrup? Real Cokeholics like me can taste the difference. GARY.
I'm thinking it's going to be the HFCS. Sorry.. :( I don't know if the Mexican bottling plant also makes syrup boxes or not.

Oddly enough, I do know that some people import the Mexican Coke into the USA to serve. The famous (or "Infamous") Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas only serves Mexican Coke with real cane sugar instead of HFCS. They also serve "Dublin" Dr. Pepper (also pure Cane sugar). They do not serve diet drinks at all... :mrgreen:
Casual

Post by Casual »

I went the other direction... Whole leaf exotic teas....

I need to cut sodas from my diet
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

That sounds really cool. I maybe might drink 1 or 2 soft drinks a month. But man I love Mountain Dew and a snickers bar. When I was doing Paramedic school.

I pulled a 24 hr shift at work. Then have to drive to Manatee County and do a 24 hr ride along with their EMS. Then go to class the next morning. Did that for 30 days.

I honestly did not think I'd make it.

I drank Mountain Dew like water. That and Mr Pibb. Now though I very seldom ever drink soft drinks. But I do love them

I'd do exactly what your doing if I did though.

This is a very good post.

I drink just filtered water now mostly or watered down gator aid if I sweat alot.

Oh yeah beer, rum, whiskey, scotch, Cognac, martinis ect...mixed with water :lol:

Now I'd put in a beer tap or better yet a whiskey tap :D
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
ss1

Post by ss1 »

N4KVE wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:54 am I’m a total Cokaholic. I do not eat at restaurants that serve Pepsi instead of Coke. I want to be able to taste what their “cola” tastes like before I buy their system. So I’m still waiting for a way to sample their product like I can taste many different foods at BJ’s. By the way, the BEST Cokes are in the 12 oz glass bottles from Mexico, & other Central American countries, where they use real sugar instead of corn syrup. GARY.
Look for the yellow cap 2L bottles particularly around Passover. They are made with cane sugar. Not sure why HFCS isn’t Kosher.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

ss1 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:02 am Look for the yellow cap 2L bottles particularly around Passover. They are made with cane sugar. Not sure why HFCS isn’t Kosher.
I generally get 40 2 liter yellow cap bottles at Passover. This year I could only find 7 bottles total from the stores local to me. GARY.