Telemarketers

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
revelation

Post by revelation »

Wakko wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 pm ATT has an app that identifies many, if not all, of the spam numbers. How it works is that if I get a spam call, I mark it as such in the app. Then when someone else gets it, it lists the probability of spam based on the number of votes. If it's egregious, it just blocks the call.
Are you using the free version or did you pay 3.99 for the app. Thanks!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Most of the time, I do not answer if I don't recognize the number. Otherwise, I answer with a nondescript, mixed but difficult accent. Many times, I get them to hang up on me. :lol:
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Wondered if you answered with mushy mishy or however the Japanese say hello....?

How would the telemarketer know they if they were calling a Japanese person, Chinese or Italian person ?

Or you could hust answer it yo, yo, yo , what up my N......... :mrgreen:
photohause

Post by photohause »

^^^ I speak enough Japanese to do this...which I do all the time.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

revelation wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:32 am
Wakko wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 pm ATT has an app that identifies many, if not all, of the spam numbers. How it works is that if I get a spam call, I mark it as such in the app. Then when someone else gets it, it lists the probability of spam based on the number of votes. If it's egregious, it just blocks the call.
Are you using the free version or did you pay 3.99 for the app. Thanks!
I think T uses Hiya, for their own branded app. Hiya was "free" after the steal all the calls you receive an make but a while ago they went to a monthly premium subscription model.

The FCC just gave all the US telco's to block behind the scenes all these calls from Jamaica and Nigeria and other places that come in with bogus caller ID numbers. They have some kind of AI that can catch some of them, but not all. Before this recent FCC decision, the carriers had to complete every call that came into them by law. This is because believe it or not, cell phones still work on Signalling System 7 which dates back to 1975. The telemarketers know it is easily fooled and they can use callerid of fake numbers, numbers from the same exchange or different area codes.
Last edited by Flame Red on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
tector

Post by tector »

If I ran for President, I would run on this platform:

Capital punishment for telemarketers domestically.

Drone strikes on foreign telemarketers.

I would win in a landslide.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

P5 Guy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:28 am So much for the DO NOT CALL LIST and the FCC fining companies for violations.
:D :lol: :)
Actually, you're talking about two different laws. The FCC is authorized to fine telemarketeers up to $500 per violating phone call, in the Federal Telecommunications Act of 1991. That law requires you to tell the telemarketeer that you don't want to receive any future calls, then write the FCC a letter of complaint with all the details for any additional calls received from that telemarketeer. It works, but not quickly. I used it against Century 21 in the late 1990's.

The second law is the Do Not Call law from @2000, which has no enforcement in it at all, merely requiring the FTC to maintain a database of numbers that don't want to receive telemarketing calls. "Nice" telemarketeers are supposed to refer to the list before calling you ;-)