Shooting Me Some Iguanas!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Shooting Me Some Iguanas!

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Article today indicates it's permissible to hunt/kill iguanas on 22 public lands:

https://cbs12.com/news/local/homeowners ... operty-fwc

The 22 public lands are listed here:

https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonn ... /removing/

Post states "and other nonnative reptiles may be humanely killed without a permit or hunting license at any time throughout the year, except by use of traps or firearms

Sooo...if I'm observed wandering around in one of the areas with a .22 air rifle (NOT a firearm), how long before FWC has me face-down in the mud with their boot on the back of my neck?

Are there "regular" hunters in these areas?
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

FWC doesn't use the boot to the back of the neck method if you ain't cooking meth. If you've ever been surprised at sunset by a MIG (Man In Green) appearing out of nowhere from the bushes when you're 3 miles back in the swamp from your truck, you would know that they don't need that sort of intimidation to do their job.

All joking aside, hell - if you know where there's some lizards, I would carry my Ruger Charger and lay up in the shadows. Call your local regional FWC office or ask your question on myfwc.com - I recently asked them if a 300BLK AR-platform pistol with a "stabilizing brace" was allowed in hunting areas that forbid centerfire rifles but allow pistols and shotguns, and I got a clearly positive "YES" as an answer within 24 hours.

Not knowing where the OP is from and not being from that part of Florida myself, I'd hazard a guess that the WMAs listed in the provided link might be places where you need a specialized vehicle and gettin' there is half the fun. Any place named Hungryland couldn't possibly be the least bit hospitable in my book.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Tongue and cheek with my "boot on the neck" statement. What I'm trying to ask is...will an air rifle raise alarm in an area where rifles may/may not be a regular occurrence.

You cannot shoot iguanas with a "firearm" in the listed WMA's, hence the air rifle inquiry.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

I have known several FWC officers and would expect them to simply ask you what you were carrying them go from there. Lots of people still take their kids on a walk in the woods with a BB gun for the kid and a high-power pellet gun for Dad, looking for legal targets of opportunity.

myfwc.com > "ask a wildlife law enforcement officer" will give you an answer that you can print out and carry with you. The MIG are some of the least reactionary LEOs I've ever met.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
patw

Post by patw »

I have seen a couple by me now and more are coming.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Stack em up like cord wood

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

I did not think of that. So when they state NO RIFLES ALLOWED you could possibly use handguns. Such are AR PISTOLS to hunt these snakes and lizards.

But I see they state NO FIREARMS so that would cover pistols also.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
tector

Post by tector »

A subsonic .22 pellet rifle would seem to be ideal in populated areas, although I think discharging them in some municipalities is a problem.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

CCI LR quiets are about the same as an average pellet rifle

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
tector

Post by tector »

Slartibartfast wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:04 pm CCI LR quiets are about the same as an average pellet rifle

Yes, but that does require a firearm.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”