Trump to Piers Morgan: ‘We’re Going to Seriously Look’ At Banning Suppressors

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
MikeFL86

Trump to Piers Morgan: ‘We’re Going to Seriously Look’ At Banning Suppressors

Post by MikeFL86 »

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/ ... ppressors/

Hating the POTUS more and more every day.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Typical NYC moderate. :evil:
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Well, to be fair, let's just get it all on the table, so we don't look like the mainstream media hacks that only give the facts that support their slant to the story.

From the link in the OP:
While it’s dangerous to put too much credence into his off-the-cuff comments, President Trump seemed to indicate that he’ll consider banning suppressors as a response to the shooting in Virginia Beach.

“Well, I’d like to think about it. I’m going to seriously look at it.”

On the other side of the equation, he defended civilian firearm ownership. When talking about the Bataclan Theatre massacre, the President told Morgan . . .

“If there was a gun on the other side it would have never happened.”

When asked why people want to own semi-automatic rifles, the President said . . .

“A lot of them use them for entertainment. They go out and shoot at ranges.”

On the discussion of gun rights, the President bounced all over the place. It appears that the President is in favor of banning suppressors, but defended the fact that armed law-abiding people stop armed criminals and smacked Morgan down by pointing out London’s rampant knife-related crime.

He jumped from targeting the Second Amendment to defending the individual right to keep and bear arms. So is he a firearms friend or foe? You decide and let us know in the comments.
Now, from a 2A standpoint did he make some inconsistent statements there? Yep - you betcha. He tends to do that on a lot of things. But he's hardly adopted a frothing-at-the-mouth Schumer / Pelosi / Feinstein - esque attitude on gun rights. We all seem to want a president that channels the ghosts of Jeff Cooper and Charlton Heston, but they didn't run for the office because, well, they were dead. Does anyone think Hillary would have ever said of the Bataclan incident "if there was a gun on the other side it would have never happened?" We forget how close the last two elections came to handing us a very different reality - at both the state and federal levels.

Although anything can happen - ala bump stocks - I hardly equate "I'd like to think about it" and "I'm going to seriously look at it" with "turn them in, you're done." I do believe he will "seriously look at it," which I take to mean "I'm going to look at the facts before I decide." Hell, we know Rick Scott and our Republican held legislature didn't even do that much after the MSDHS shooting - they passed their gun control bill in just 19 days.
For years, many people have said of Trump that, in a negotiation, he's the smartest guy in the room, because he educates himself beforehand on every aspect and nuance of the subject. Yes, he says shit off the cuff that makes me cringe. I'm not ready to burn him in effigy for that.

Now, we've just got to accept this: Trump is not a member of the "gun culture." Even though he has a NY City Concealed Carry License (so he probably owns at least one gun) and his kids like to hunt, gun rights have never been in his blood. Like most of the population, including a VERY large percentage of gun owners, he doesn't know anything about suppressors - much less own one. The same was true of bump stocks, and now they're banned - but you have to admit, bump stocks are a whole different animal from suppressors.

If we're to keep more than break open shotguns and bolt action rifles, we've got to do a helluva lot of educating those who get their "gun facts" from the media - and we've got to do it intelligently. We've got to recognize that MOST people don't own guns, and they may not oppose them, but they don't support them, either - because they don't understand much about them. We've GOT to get away from the attitude of, "well, obviously, it's common sense, and anyone who doesn't support my right to own a gun (or a bump stock, or a suppressor) is just an idiot." I've given up on the NRA protecting anything but their paychecks. When they call me for money now, I tell them not one more dime until they clean up their internal messes and public image and get back to the job they claim to do for us. Wayne and Marion can kiss my ass and choke on their caviar. I'm looking at supporting other guns rights organizations, and doing a lot more of my own preaching.

But, in the meantime, I'm not jumping on the anti-Trump wagon, until he gives me a real reason. Not yet.
gforester

Post by gforester »

Well said Odessaman.
Mohel_Knives

Post by Mohel_Knives »

🍻🍻🍻Odessaman. His sons are NFA owners specifically Suppressors, I think they will intercede long before anything is truly discussed.
Ira G
Mohel Knives
I know stuff and can do things

My Name is Ira and I am a 1911 addict!!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Agreed.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Mohel_Knives wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 am 🍻🍻🍻Odessaman. His sons are NFA owners specifically Suppressors, I think they will intercede long before anything is truly discussed.
Maybe The Donald is not too pleased his kids own such things?
Mohel_Knives

Post by Mohel_Knives »

P5 Guy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:55 pm
Mohel_Knives wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 am 🍻🍻🍻Odessaman. His sons are NFA owners specifically Suppressors, I think they will intercede long before anything is truly discussed.
Maybe The Donald is not too pleased his kids own such things?
I doubt that.
Ira G
Mohel Knives
I know stuff and can do things

My Name is Ira and I am a 1911 addict!!
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

In the silencerco interview Donny JR said that he has shot them on weekend hunting trips however as a New York resident he cannot own one
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

rentprop1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:43 pm
In the silencerco interview Donny JR said that he has shot them on weekend hunting trips however as a New York resident he cannot own one
Because, it's not like he could have a trust or LLC based in another state and keep them locked up in his hunting cabin. I'm sure that no one in New York ever does that. :roll:
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)