Should I Red Locktite my buffer tube???

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I've been looking for this pic on my facebook page since this abortion of an idea to use Loctite on buffer tube threads started.

This is Leroy's gun, Leroy used Red Loctite, Leroy, then wanted to change out his buffer tube, he went down the hall and asked the "Super" for help, the super said Ive got a wrench, I'm guessing pipe wrench.....Leroy still brought it to us ( The Gunsmith ) for removal, I tried heat, which if you look at the shiny area liquified the Loctite, but it still wouldn't budge, we even tried soaking it in Kroil. We got it off but couldn't save the tube or nut.....
Also NOTE: that Kroil will dissolve Loctite if you let it penetrate long enough
rug357

Post by rug357 »

The problem is that my tube does not use lock nut as the tube shoulders itself on the receiver. The end of threading has a large shoulder to which the tube tightens to the receiver. There is no locking nut and I can not stake the tube. I tighten the tube with the strap wrench originally and recently it came loose. When I tighten the tube again it went pass where it was first time so the brace is now slightly canted to the left. I can't take the brace off the tube so I got to shim the tube to keep the brace vertical. I was going to use the Locktite to keep it in place.
Look at this tube and you can see what I'm talking about.

https://dsgarms.com/kakpbt-g2
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
SilentRecon

Post by SilentRecon »

rug357 wrote:The problem is that my tube does not use lock nut as the tube shoulders itself on the receiver. The end of threading has a large shoulder to which the tube tightens to the receiver. There is no locking nut and I can not stake the tube. I tighten the tube with the strap wrench originally and recently it came loose. When I tighten the tube again it went pass where it was first time so the brace is now slightly canted to the left. I can't take the brace off the tube so I got to shim the tube to keep the brace vertical. I was going to use the Locktite to keep it in place.
Look at this tube and you can see what I'm talking about.

https://dsgarms.com/kakpbt-g2
I'd nix that tube asap and get one that utilizes a castle nut so it can be indexed and staked properly. Even if you dont want to stake it, properly torqued it should stay and not give you issues like your current setup. Whatever you do, do not put loctite in your reciever threads.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Yeah dump that tube its the same design as the cheap china tubes on eBay, you could always add a castle nut and use it as a lock nut between the tube and the receiver but all that's going to do is shorten the amount of threads in the receiver ring area.

Just a bad design, are there multiple positions where to attach the brace ? How would the manufacturer of the tube know the correct thread pattern from each manufacturer of AR lowers and where the tube needs to stop at 12 oclock?

KAK tube it top notch and has index points at 6 oclock for the brace at several different lendths also uses a castle nut
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

I'm confused. Is your tube the actual KAK tube that you linked to, or are you saying that it has a similar shoulder geometry as the KAK tube that you linked to, but made by SB Tactical?

I have a KAK tube with no flare to the shoulder, but it is timed correctly so that it bottoms out at the correct depth to engage the buffer retainer. I don't understand how it could tighten down further than the shoulder when you retightened it. However, mine does not wear a brace, so I might not notice. This is the one I have.

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts ... uffer-tube

Also - why can't you take the brace off the tube? Maybe I'm not understanding...
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
ss1

Post by ss1 »

This is probably similar to Chae’s

You can see there is no opportunity to stake it. You can use an indexed pistol tube like this which like everyone says they would stake and not locktite.

rug357

Post by rug357 »

I don't remember the brand name of the tube but I got it together with the SOB's SB brace when they first came out. I guess it could be SOB brand tube but don't know for sure. The tube only has the "stop" with no way to use locking nut or castle nut and no way to stake the tube. The brace is on the tube very tight and can't be removed as the rubber race sorta melted on to the tube over the years. I can't use compressed air to remove the brace as the tube is fluted and there is a hole at the end of the tube...I tried for 2 days.

It's this AR pistol. I used it for a while and shot a hog with it then it became my son's favorite range rifle. It's been banging around in the truck for months and I guess that's how the tube got loose.

I'm going to shim the tube to the receiver so the brace is strait with the receiver and use red Locktite on it. What's the worst that could happen? I could have a useless receiver and tube later but that's why we stack up on cheap receivers. If it works my son can continue to shoot this AR for many years to come.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
SilentRecon

Post by SilentRecon »

rug357 wrote:I don't remember the brand name of the tube but I got it together with the SOB's SB brace when they first came out. I guess it could be SOB brand tube but don't know for sure. The tube only has the "stop" with no way to use locking nut or castle nut and no way to stake the tube. The brace is on the tube very tight and can't be removed as the rubber race sorta melted on to the tube over the years. I can't use compressed air to remove the brace as the tube is fluted and there is a hole at the end of the tube...I tried for 2 days.

It's this AR pistol. I used it for a while and shot a hog with it then it became my son's favorite range rifle. It's been banging around in the truck for months and I guess that's how the tube got loose.

I'm going to shim the tube to the receiver so the brace is strait with the receiver and use red Locktite on it. What's the worst that could happen? I could have a useless receiver and tube later but that's why we stack up on cheap receivers. If it works my son can continue to shoot this AR for many years to come.
So against everyone's advice you are going to red loctite the buffer tube into your reciever rendering it useless if it ever needs to be removed or if you try and sell it? You can find a cheap buffer tube or a nice used one that utilizes a castle nut and have your issue fixed correctly. It's your firearm so whatever you decide is ultimately your decision. Some people like to have their dragging bumper replaced correctly and some would rather use duct tape. To each their own.

Ben V.

Post by Ben V. »

I had a stupid idea today to fix a similar problem and it worked. totally different thing and application, but it made me think of this thread.

rubber O-ring
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Ben V. wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm rubber O-ring
dude. :ugeek:

I like the way you think.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)