Miami-Dade Requires BG Check on Private Sales?

rug357

Miami-Dade Requires BG Check on Private Sales?

Post by rug357 »

I was told yesterday by my BIL that in Miami-Dade a background check is required for private sales of guns now.
Is this something new? Is this required in other South Florida counties too? Broward, Palm Beach???
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
tector

Post by tector »

rug357 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:17 pm I was told yesterday by my BIL that in Miami-Dade a background check is required for private sales of guns now.
Is this something new? Is this required in other South Florida counties too? Broward, Palm Beach???
Only on public property, like the gun show at the Fairgrounds. That has been the law for many, many years.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Most people just leave the property, & finalize the deal down the road. GARY.
tector

Post by tector »

N4KVE wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:48 am Most people just leave the property, & finalize the deal down the road. GARY.
Yep.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

BG checks on private sales are completely unenforceable and not something you should comply with anyway.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
tector

Post by tector »

Skoll wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:28 am BG checks on private sales are completely unenforceable and not something you should comply with anyway.
God, maybe 10 years ago they were running stings on them at the Miami gun show. So it was definitely being enforced.

To my recollection Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and and at least one Central Florida county have these rules. Government-as-landlord has leeway not allowed to government-as-government.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

tector wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:55 pm
Skoll wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:28 am BG checks on private sales are completely unenforceable and not something you should comply with anyway.
God, maybe 10 years ago they were running stings on them at the Miami gun show. So it was definitely being enforced.

To my recollection Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and and at least one Central Florida county have these rules. Government-as-landlord has leeway not allowed to government-as-government.
Orange County home of the tourist trap, Orlando fun show mandates UBC.
randian

Post by randian »

Wouldn't such a law violate preemption?
tector

Post by tector »

It hasn't been found so far. See my post above about government-as-landlord.
wcontratto

Post by wcontratto »

P5 Guy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:34 am
tector wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:55 pm

Orange County home of the tourist trap, Orlando fun show mandates UBC.
Contrary to popular opinion, the fairgrounds aren't owned by the government. The property is owned by a non-profit corporation, The Central Florida Fair, Inc. The property is not "public" so I am pretty sure the county ordinance is not enforceable. I'm pretty sure the owner of the gun show doesn't mind restricting private sales. Especially since he is also the largest participant in the show and private sales are competition.

That being said, I don't want to be the test case.