Galil Clone (Golani) Any Good?

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
rug357

Galil Clone (Golani) Any Good?

Post by rug357 »

I have enough AR and AK to keep me and my family satisfied for many years so I've been looking at other 5.56 weapons to get for fun. I've seen couple of Galil clones or Golani come up in past year and was kind of wondering if these are any good. Are there any known problems with these rifles? I know these were assembled by Century Arms so I assume there are some known problems. I have heard some have off center front sight and long and heavy trigger pull. Anything else I should know?
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

iirc the Golani sporters were made out of cast off military rejects that the Israelis then (deviously, as usual) sold to CAI. They're notorious for being terribly out of spec rifles. I wouldn't waste my time or money if I were you.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I had 2. They both worked perfectly, & both used the ORF receiver. The first one [early production] had the typical problem of the left side of the receiver not mating up with the lug of the bolt. This put all the stress on the right lug. Eventually headspacing would be lost. So even though it worked fine, I sold it. A few months later, I picked up another. This one had Hebrew letters all over the receiver. Both lugs on the bolt properly mated with the receiver. I still own this gun, & headspacing is still in spec. Later guns were made with a different receiver. Marked Caspian, some say Ruger made it. They all used new Green Mountain barrels. So it’s the luck of the draw. If you are looking at one, make sure both lugs on the bolt are making proper contact with the receiver. GARY