Mags dropping out of lower, best fix?

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
kayakingsteve

Mags dropping out of lower, best fix?

Post by kayakingsteve »

Been having an issue with mags, any type, any manufacture, spontaneously falling out of the lower while shooting or even cocking it a few times.

I played with screwing in the mag release a bit more to put more pressure on the spring and that fixed it, but seems like a Kludge.

Do these springs get weak often and is the SOP to just replace the spring?

Dumb questions, but... I'm dumb! :lol:
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Properly setup for the correct tension should look like the photo below, a turn or two less can create problems.
kayakingsteve

Post by kayakingsteve »

Mine looks more like the picture you showed me after I turned it in a few revolutions and it seems to have fixed the problem.

It doesn't seem like the mag release mechanism ties to anything else that a heavier spring would throw off. IS there any downside to having a stronger spring in there or even doubling up a spring?
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

If it now looks like the picture and is working, you obviously didn't have it set correctly to start. Move on an enjoy, it shouldn't give you anymore grief and I certainly wouldn't try doubling up on the spring as it isn't needed. A few turns is all it takes bwtn working correctly and dropping mags inadvertently.
kayakingsteve

Post by kayakingsteve »

Lastrites wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:08 am If it now looks like the picture and is working, you obviously didn't have it set correctly to start. Move on an enjoy, it shouldn't give you anymore grief and I certainly wouldn't try doubling up on the spring as it isn't needed. A few turns is all it takes bwtn working correctly and dropping mags inadvertently.
This is the part where my pride forces me to say that I bought it from someone already built. That said, honesty forces me to say that I'd have had no idea how many turns to thread it had I built my first one from scratch so probably would've had the same issue. :D
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

My neighbor when I was 14 came over and fixed a sweated copper pipe that I had twisted off with pliers.

When he left, I walked him out, apologizing profusely.

He said "That's how ya learn,boy!"
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

TC6969 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:15 pm My neighbor when I was 14 came over and fixed a sweated copper pipe that I had twisted off with pliers.

When he left, I walked him out, apologizing profusely.

He said "That's how ya learn,boy!"
Yep similar to being a flat rate technician. "First you learn then you earn"