Micro-pistols

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
flcracker

Micro-pistols

Post by flcracker »

Yes, I know. Too loud. Fireball will burn the hair off your knuckles. Under/overgassed. Unreliable. Insufficient velocity for expansion/fragmentation.

I say: Bring on the boom boom. Use a good muzzle device. Adjustable gas block. Lightweight bolt carrier with short, heavy buffer & spring. Modern bullet construction. And, thirty .22 or .30 caliber holes poked through you will still ruin your day.

I humbly present one of the lightest and shortest AR pistol configurations you can build today, without having to resort to an unobtainium bufferless bolt carrier group.

19" OAL. 4.34# unloaded. Runs like a raped ape.

Itty Bitty Bang-bang

KAK 4.75" barrels (assembled pistol is 5.56, barrel shown is 300BLK). Superlative Arms AGB. Kaw Valley LC (minor milling required to fit AGB screw). Strike Industries 5" pistol buffer tube.

I put well over a hundred rounds of surplus Malaysian 556 FMJ through it last week without a single hiccup. Nice dense pile of brass over my shoulder at about 4:00. Fist-sized group at 25yds - my cheapo RDS was wandering a bit. Time to upgrade to a Holosun.

Itty Bitty Bangbang fits inside a normal sized daypack and has become my new Jeep gun. Consider it as a modern-day Streetsweeper.

Let's see your micro-pistols and hear about the details of your builds.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Big bore lover

Post by Big bore lover »

Its cute, but I find I must ask,,,,why not simply pickup/buy/use one of the 5.7 pistols out there. Even the high priced FN has 30 round mags and even the cheaper Ruger comes with 20 round mags. No larger than a full size 1911 so it is much easier to "conceal" if needed.

I'm not trying to start anything as to saying the short baby AR is not good. Just asking about a possible alternative.
Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

If my only goal were to obtain a high-powered compact pistol, then your suggestion would make sense.

At this point I'm my life I have no interest in a new caliber. There's no more room in the ammo dump.

Plus, I like building ARs and dropping coin on a complete firearm just isn't interesting to me right now.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I did a 3 inch 9mm AR pistol, its kinda stupid, I just ordered an 8 inch barrel for it, cause at 25 yards its just a bullet hose
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Definitely neat looking, but seems wasteful...how many FPS are you loosing with a barrel that short?
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

I'll find out when all three of the current 300BLK upper projects are assembled. 4.75", 6", and 10". In addition to my current 10.5" that is tuned to run suppressed with a .30cal Windtalker.

Eventually I'd like to build a short & light Form 1 can to try out on these three stubbies.

I realize it's wasteful if the only concern is performance. I already have plenty of rifles and pistols that would be far more preferable in a true SD or SHTF scenario. This is just a lockdown project that will eventually end up in a Pelican case for Jeep/canoe camping/adventure trips.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Gotcha.

I'm not super knowledgeable about the numbers myself either. I just didn't know if once you got down to that short of a barrel if you were wandering into .22LR ballistics
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

Looks like a fun project! Have been kicking around the .300 BO concept for a few weeks. Congrats!