Red Dot Sights Question

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
Martini

Red Dot Sights Question

Post by Martini »

I can't decide which red dot sight to buy for my DDM4v7Pro, the Leupold RDS, Aimpoint Pro or the Aimpoint ACO. I just want to use my AR15 for target shooting and outdoor ranges. Which one do recommend?
NRA Member 2020
Beretta Aficionado
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Martini wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:40 pm I can't decide which red dot sight to buy for my DDM4v7Pro, the Leupold RDS, Aimpoint Pro or the Aimpoint ACO. I just want to use my AR15 for target shooting and outdoor ranges. Which one do recommend?
I put an Aimpoint PRO on my FS2000 and like it. It's a nice bit of kit. I can't comment on the others on your list.

I recently put a Primary Arms 5X Prism scope with the ACSS reticle on my SCAR-16, and I like it a LOT. Quite the bargain at $330. The ACSS reticle is very very cool, IMO.

How far will you be shooting?

The cool thing about the PA prism scopes is the reticle, which has built-in BDC (bullet drop compensator) and ranging features. The PA scopes come in 3X and 5X versions. Some call them, "the poor man's ACOG." :)
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
Martini

Post by Martini »

Thanks for your feedback.
NRA Member 2020
Beretta Aficionado
BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE »

Aim point pro. Put the dot where you want to hit and you do the rest. Lens caps and you can mount a back up folding site behind the optic.to co-witness through the scope. What distance do you want to shoot at? No info on the other 2.
BIG JOE
revelation

Post by revelation »

Racer88 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:46 pm
Martini wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:40 pm I can't decide which red dot sight to buy for my DDM4v7Pro, the Leupold RDS, Aimpoint Pro or the Aimpoint ACO. I just want to use my AR15 for target shooting and outdoor ranges. Which one do recommend?
I put an Aimpoint PRO on my FS2000 and like it. It's a nice bit of kit. I can't comment on the others on your list.

I recently put a Primary Arms 5X Prism scope with the ACSS reticle on my SCAR-16, and I like it a LOT. Quite the bargain at $330. The ACSS reticle is very very cool, IMO.

How far will you be shooting?

The cool thing about the PA prism scopes is the reticle, which has built-in BDC (bullet drop compensator) and ranging features. The PA scopes come in 3X and 5X versions. Some call them, "the poor man's ACOG." :)
Is your 5x prism scope set up for long distance shooting vs. the 3x? Is it zeroed for 100 yards?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

I simply chose the 5x to have more magnification. I've got it zeroed at 100 yards. I've shot it out to 200 yards, so far.

I think 3X vs 5X is a matter of preference. Even with 5X, I'm comfortable shooting with both eyes open. But, I do that even with my long distance rigs at 12X or 18X.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
Chris6424

Post by Chris6424 »

The DDM4 pro is supremely accurate. Why not a a 1 x4 optic with a red dot reticle? Trijicon Accupoint, Accupower, etc? Best of both worlds. Red dot for close, 4x magnification at distance.
Martini

Post by Martini »

I took it to the range for the first time last week and I was awed by the performance of this rifle, extremely accurate and flawless. Very little recoil, no malfunctions whatsoever, it was a lot of fun shooting! I used the DD magazine and it worked pretty well, then I used a couple of 40 round magazines from Magpul and it performed nicely. I decide to get the Aimpoint Pro and after my first session I really love the red dot, very easy to set up and zero and it does very well together with the Magpul iron sights. I wonder if you ever have to zero in the optics again? The only thing that I didn't like much was the ammo. Being new to the platform, I purchased the Federal 5.56 NATO 55 Gr FMJBT ammo, which at this point don't know if it's good ammo or not and although I didn't get any bad rounds, after the first 100 rounds, I took it apart to see how the dirty it was and in fact was really dirty. My next session will be with PMC brand ammo and hopefully, it will be better. I noticed that the Federal ammo had a very strong odor, I don't know if all the rifle ammo will be like that since all I have been shooting is 9mm. What can use together with the Aimpoint Pro for longer distances?
NRA Member 2020
Beretta Aficionado